Understanding Shotgun Chokes

Anything and everything related to competition shooting (ie trap, skeet, etc) can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:49 pm
Ain't that the truth!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:05 am
Well guys I must admit I must be doing something wrong. In over 50 years of shotgunning and numerous shotguns I have never patterned a gun. Sometimes I have 3 different brands and loads of shells in the gun. Doesn't seem to make a difference. The bird flushes, the gun goes bang, the bird goes down. When I miss it's my fault, not my gun or the ammo. I know what I did wrong. Usually not enought lead. In recent years I have gone to using only a modified choke. Works for me.
T.W.K.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:45 pm
BC, you remind of alot of my uncle. He never patterned his Model 12's but he knew those guns so well that he instinctively understood how each gun would pattern. He knew the spread at just about any distance. He also knew the drop of any slug when he went deer hunting. My guess is that you know you guns so well, you do too. Patterning removes the learning curve and the time it take for you to know how your gun performs.
--Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:12 pm
When I shoot at a bird I like to shoot low and catch the bird with the top edge of the pattern. 5 to 7 pellets will do the trick. I have seen many 1,2 and 3 pellet kills. My job is to put the bird on the ground so my dogs can have the fun of retrieving it. I have hunted with guys who use extra heavy duty magnum loads etc. When they hit a bird its just a puff of feathers and 2 wing tips. I like to have a nice bird to put on the plate.
T.W.K.
Previous

Return to Competition Shooting