I am a terrible clay shooter!

Anything and everything related to competition shooting (ie trap, skeet, etc) can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:06 pm
uberkermit wrote:
28 gauge wrote: Not a great box bird shooter myserlf. :)Was always a better rifle shot than a box bird shot. :)

For myself I believe all the rifle shooting I did in the past has not beem good for my clay target shooting.I also find the clay targetrs go much faster than most birds I hunt/shoot at in the uplands.I believe this also effects the lead I use on clay targets.I guees if I shot more often I would get on to it better. :) Just my thoughts on the subject. :)

So would you say that shooting at real birds is a little easier than clays (because they fly slower)?

A clay target, say at skeet shooting, goes on a set course at any station, once you learn the right lead for each station you can get quite good at it.The target may be going faster but it is the same course each time.In the field the birds I have found , by in large ,go slower than a clay target.They do however not usually go the same course.They go when they want , not when you say pull and unlike on a skeet field where the bird always stays in sight ,a bird in the field can disappear in the thick woods long before you get a shot off.

For myself and the birds I hunt, mostly partridge(ruffed grouse) in the uplands, I find correct shotgun stance most times does not work for me.Too much walking ,birds jumping while you go under a fallen tree,getting off a quick shot at a bird before it disappears in the woods, etc.These types of shots do not allow for proper stance and swing.Most of the time it is get the shotgun to your shoulder as fast as you can and fire before the bird gets out of sight.

I have seen skeet shooters who are just like a machine at the range.Pull, bang,powder.These same fellows in the partridge woods have no better results on partridge than I do and in some caes worse than myself.On the range however it is a different matter. :)

Also in the field it comes into play your hunting ability.To be able to find birds and to approch them in a way where by you can get the best shot you can get. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:35 pm
28 gauge wrote: A clay target, say at skeet shooting, goes on a set course at any station, once you learn the right lead for each station you can get quite good at it.The target may be going faster but it is the same course each time.In the field the birds I have found , by in large ,go slower than a clay target.They do however not usually go the same course.They go when they want , not when you say pull and unlike on a skeet field where the bird always stays in sight ,a bird in the field can disappear in the thick woods long before you get a shot off.

For myself and the birds I hunt, mostly partridge(ruffed grouse) in the uplands, I find correct shotgun stance most times does not work for me.Too much walking ,birds jumping while you go under a fallen tree,getting off a quick shot at a bird before it disappears in the woods, etc.These types of shots do not allow for proper stance and swing.Most of the time it is get the shotgun to your shoulder as fast as you can and fire before the bird gets out of sight.

I have seen skeet shooters who are just like a machine at the range.Pull, bang,powder.These same fellows in the partridge woods have no better results on partridge than I do and in some caes worse than myself.On the range however it is a different matter. :)

Also in the field it comes into play your hunting ability.To be able to find birds and to approch them in a way where by you can get the best shot you can get. :)

Good to know these things. I figure if I can't hit squat with clays, I will hit even less "real birds." But I will keep in mind that they are not the same thing.
Canadian Reload Radio - Canada's Premier Pro-Gun Podcast

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:18 pm
Thanks for all the great advice and videos. I for one can use all the help I can get!

Return to Competition Shooting