Model 37 12 Ga Trap

Anything and everything related to competition shooting (ie trap, skeet, etc) can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:56 am
I am planning on getting into trap and need a good, moderately priced trap gun. I have used a 16 Ga Model 37 for the past 40 years and really like the handling of the model 37.

Anyone out there have an experience with the M37, 12 ga, trap? I would be great if I could have the same style gun for field and trap.

Thanks.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:13 am
well if trap was golf ,, i'd be a hacker.
meaning i don't do it competively.

i've used all manner of my m37s but they are not "trap" guns.
i usually use my m51 for trap or skeet but that is not a "trap" gun either .

i honestly don't really know the diffrence between "trap" guns and a field gun with the exception of the vent rib barrels having a diffrent style rib and fancier wood and checkering?

i might be missing something ,am i?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:54 am
My understanding is the suggested features of a trap gun is: a 30 inch barrel, full choke, vented rib, 70/30 poi, and usually a 12 ga for acceleration. I don't think I would want to use a short barrel and IC for trap, but I am not a trap shooter.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:31 pm
well i switch out barrels for whatever i'm shooting.
if its trap i put my 30" full VR on
if its skeet i put my 26" skeet VR on...

for hunting i got a 28" mod VR
but semi autos are only legal for waterfowl in my state.

you can do the same barrel dance with m37s after SN 855XXX
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:54 am
I thought trap guns were set to shoot high because all the birds are rising.

Regards,

Mark.
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:32 pm
you may be right,,as i said i'm not a hardcore sport shooter.

from my understanding the extra high vent ribs have more to do with picking up your target from around the barrel.

the only way i can see a rib helping with rising targets is if its angled high near the reciever sloping lower toward the barrel end.
but most i see seem to be consistant on the rib height.

maybe someone with more info could elaborate
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:13 pm
Perhaps I should've added, "so you don't have to cover the bird in order to hit it".

Like you, I'm no expert at trap and, indeed, I've only ever had a couple of goes at it; I prefer Sporting to trap or skeet. (I have, though, a hankerin' to have a go at a "flush".)

Regards,

Mark.
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:22 pm
Hi Guys,
I have a few trap specific guns as well as field guns. One of my guns is the new Ithaca 37 trap. I got it with the 70/30 rib, which means that 70% of the shot should be above the point aim. With this gun I have shot trap, handicap, doubles, wobble, skeet, and five stand. I found that for trap keeping a figure 8 with the mid bead and front bead allowed for very good bird sighting, but I also found that if I shot from low gun, such as for five stand, the mid bead would sit directly in front of the front bead, essentially making it a 50-50 gun. This means that point aim is point of impact, and makes for a very good instinctive shooter. While I have never recommended 30" barrels for skeet, I have never felt handicapped using them, and the gun is excellent for trap, five stand and sporting clays. You might want to try the 60/40 they sell as it will be that much easier to transition. By the way I do not shoot competitively, I just shoot often for fun.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:28 am
I purchased one of the Ithaca Trap Model 37 approx. a year ago. When I ordered it I got all the bells and whistles such as AAA wood along with the Graco recoil reducer and adjustable comb. This shotgun is amazing when it comes to trap shooting, the light weight allows it to swing very smooth and so far I have found no loads either factory new or reloads and no shot weight (7/8 to 1 1/18) that the gun has any problem handling, I attribute that to the trueness of the barrels since no heat is applied that will cause microscopic distortion when a barrel heats up from shooting. The only problem I had was with the extraction of the steel based shells, I contacted Zak about this, he sent a shipping lable and about a week later the gun was back and operating like a champ. I purchased this gun after I decided to get back into trap shooting after 40yrs. Since I like to buy American made when at all possible and after doing research for about a year I chose Ithaca and have not been dissapointed. The only other problem you might have is on the Trap line itself! Some of the other shooters with high priced trap guns will first figure you are not serious since you shoot a pump and then they become a little miffed when you beat them, but that just adds to the fun of competition. I have approx. 8000 rounds at this time through the gun with no problems.

Good Shooting and Be Safe
Mark

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:19 pm
Hi Mark and welcome. I am glad you are enjoying your Trap 37 as much as I am mine. Good luck in everything you do.
Stan

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:20 pm
I'm primarily a hunter, but me and some of my buddies from church like to go shoot sporting clays, and trap on open trap night here at the local range. We also have a big trap shooter in church and here is what I have learned about trap guns.

Trap specific guns are set up to shoot to a higher poi than field guns, sometimes much higher. The idea is that they will never have to cover the target with the end of their barrel. All trap targets are rising so this works well. Most of them have very long barrels so that they can have a better swing and sighting plane. Trap specific guns tend to be heavy to soak up the recoil of shooting hundreds of rounds at a time. Trap specific guns also tend to have longer stocks than field or sporting clays guns. This is because trap is a premounted discipline and requires a very upright posture.

Now can you shoot trap with a field gun. Sure you can and I do. I have shot it with a 20 inch barrel and a poly-choke and did well. I have shot trap with a 20 guage model 37 that throws a light mod. pattern and did very well. Now my big boy (model 37 from 1951 with a 30 inch hones to goodness full choke) is a wonder to behold at trap. There is absolutely no need at all to rush from the 16 yard line. Just call pull, wait, wait, wait, wait and about the time the bird starts to drop move up and touch it with the front sight and it is powder.

Trap can be fun on open nights with your buddies. But now the serious boys are just that SERIOUS. I think some of them forgot how to have fun.

Return to Competition Shooting