Model 37 12 Ga Trap

Anything and everything related to competition shooting (ie trap, skeet, etc) can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:20 pm
I'm primarily a hunter, but me and some of my buddies from church like to go shoot sporting clays, and trap on open trap night here at the local range. We also have a big trap shooter in church and here is what I have learned about trap guns.

Trap specific guns are set up to shoot to a higher poi than field guns, sometimes much higher. The idea is that they will never have to cover the target with the end of their barrel. All trap targets are rising so this works well. Most of them have very long barrels so that they can have a better swing and sighting plane. Trap specific guns tend to be heavy to soak up the recoil of shooting hundreds of rounds at a time. Trap specific guns also tend to have longer stocks than field or sporting clays guns. This is because trap is a premounted discipline and requires a very upright posture.

Now can you shoot trap with a field gun. Sure you can and I do. I have shot it with a 20 inch barrel and a poly-choke and did well. I have shot trap with a 20 guage model 37 that throws a light mod. pattern and did very well. Now my big boy (model 37 from 1951 with a 30 inch hones to goodness full choke) is a wonder to behold at trap. There is absolutely no need at all to rush from the 16 yard line. Just call pull, wait, wait, wait, wait and about the time the bird starts to drop move up and touch it with the front sight and it is powder.

Trap can be fun on open nights with your buddies. But now the serious boys are just that SERIOUS. I think some of them forgot how to have fun.

Return to Competition Shooting