Model 37 Trap

Anything and everything related to competition shooting (ie trap, skeet, etc) can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:57 am
Just a little update on the Ithaca Model 37 Trap. On July 20 thru 22 I competed in the Western Zone Trap Competition held at the Tucson Trap and Skeet Club in Tucson AZ. My 37 Trap fuctioned flawlessly. During the 200 bird Singles Championship a combination of the heat (105) and humidity along with putting 200 rounds through the gun caused the barrel to become hotter than I had ever felt, I had to be careful not to touch the barrel while holding the forearm. This however caused no problems for the 37, it continued to do a number on the clays (when I did my job). By the end of the Championship I had posted a 197 X 200. There is a very natural pointing balance in this gun that makes it easy to shoot targets with. I would recommend this gun for anyone wanting to shoot Trap, Skeet or even Sporting Clays, I recently shot a round of skeet with it using the I C choke and ended up with a 21, which I thought wasn't too bad for a trap gun set at 90/10.

Good Shooting and Be Safe

Mark

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:33 pm
That's some fine shooting, Mark! :P
A flash in the pan, a puff of smoke, and a prayer to the great Lord on high...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 pm
Wow, great shooting! I would like to add one of these to the pile eventually. I occasionally shoot trap on open night at the local range by my house. I love to take my 52 model 37 12 gauge with a 30 in full choke barrel. It'll do a number on them if I've got my head in the game (nothing like your shooting of course). I bet that trap gun is a Jim dandy. I'd love to see some pics of it!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:19 am
Another ATA registered season is starting up along with my winter league, looks to be a fun year. This next 8 weeks during the league I will also be trying my hand at Bunker/International trap with the Model 37 Trap, evey though most suggest to have a gun with a 50/50 POI, I thought I would keep mine the same as I use for ATA. Many have said to me that the pump will be at a disadvantage in Bunker, maybe so but I am looking forward to putting the 37 on the line. I have found it to be so much fun going up against some of the often preached concepts, it can be a lot of work but the rewards are great. Such as the chokes to use for 16 yard and handicap, while their suggestions worked well I was not satisfied with my patterns, so I did some R/D and found that the Xtra Full Flush from Briely to be just the ticket to balance my swing and call to shot timing with the 37 plus I would approximate that 95 to 98% of the shot is placed in a 30 inch circle at the pattern board with no holes in the pattern.

I'll keep you updated on how we get along at Bunker.

Keep Shooting and Be Safe

Mark

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:30 pm
Well some may say you are shooting at a disadvantage but you are shooting an Ithaca. To you my friend I say you have an unfair advantage. Good Luck!!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:05 am
Ask all those nay sayers just how many championships and titles have been won with model 12's and 870's. Disadvantage indeed! Then have them google Rudy Etchen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:40 am
The advantage lies with the gentleman or lady who knows thier firearm and trusts its function without question and it has to hold up over thousands, tens of thousands of rounds. Ithaca's inherent design, short pump stroke, natural balance and for me, the downward ejection, makes that marriage a natural. Understanding the bodies natural swing in shooting, how the muscles move, places the Ithaca design in a great place. Though I prefer sporting clays and then skeet (modified a bit for fun), trap still draws great attendance and you can open up a can of whooopbutt with the Ithaca anytime.
Making a Difference For Wildlife, One Acre At A Time

Return to Competition Shooting