adding choke

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:30 pm
I know you can get a choke reamed out
but can you get choke added?

I've come to notice that I do not have a 12g m37 for skeet use
but I do have a 41R 12g that has been cut back and the all too common polychoke added.

i'm not a poly fan, and the fact this particular poly doesn't shoot strait doesn't help convert me.
i'm seriously considering removing the poly all together.
I can get by with open cyl but i'd like a bit of choke if its possible

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:11 pm
About the only way I can think of would be another poly or installing tubes. I would do the same and remove the poly-choke and consider choke tubes or just go with the cylinder bore.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:22 am
I hope I'm not too late to the party here! There are a couple of options. 1) you could have your barrel "straightened" which is supposed to be done anytime a poly is added. 2) you can shoot cyl bore. For skeet that should be more than enough as skeet choke is only 5 thousands constriction. The longest shot I ever made on a quail was with a cyl bore 12 gauge. 3) you can have a permanent shim soldered in the barrel to make it a fixed choke. 4) add choke tubes.

Contact Mike Orlen over on SGW as he is recognized by many as the expert barrel man he does all the above. Perhaps our own Raven Gunsmith could do the job too!
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:13 am
Choke tubes is the way to go. just make sure the barrel is thick enough to support them. I'd gladly do the job except that I need a new reamer. I did a job on a chrome lined barrel and it pretty much rendered it useless after that.

Never install tubes in any barrel with a thickness of .015 or less. and never install tubes with an inside diameter greater than these, 12 ga. - .735"; 12 ga. Thinwall - .728"; 16 ga. - .666"; 20 ga. - .624". Doing so could cause the tubes to literally blow out of the gun,
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 am
tubes don't belong in a prewar gun
so lets just get rid of that option off the top.

being i'm gonna use it for skeet it can live with a cly bore
its already been chopped once to add the potato on the end.

i'm also not too keen on applying heat to the muzzle in an attempt to remove the poly.
and since the solid rib has been cut back farther then the muzzle end it needs to be equalized.
I guess chop it is
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:12 pm
Before you chop it, do some checking, including calling Polychoke about getting it to shoot to point of aim. It just might end up surprising you in its versatility.

You know, the added weight out on the muzzle helps with smoothness (to a degree).
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 pm
well its not about versatility
I have 12gs in mod and full choke.

I just have an open niche and an old beat up prewar solid rib that somebody violated by putting a poly on it.
that's something that can't be undone,but I can try to keep it as "true" as possible.
the thought keeps crossing my mind that this could be a factory poly being its 41.
it seems a very clean install on a solid rib maintaining the brass bead
that alone has kept me from chopping the god awfull thing off and melting it down.
and probably will for a bit longer
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 am
Hey, it could have been worse, that could have been a Cutts stuck to the muzzle of that thing.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:29 pm
is it the poly sleeve that looks like a club on the end of the barrel, or the sleeve with the ventilated end.

poly-choke has found and is refinishing a vintage ventilated fore end for me for a 16ga I am getting. I think the ones without the vents are oooglee. the ventilated end gives it a transition to the eye
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:24 pm
there all ugly
and you can't convince me otherwise. hehe
but it is the ventilated type.

if I could confirm it was a factory ordered one i'd keep it.
but that's hard to prove so therefore its going to be scrapped.
when all is said and done I might post pics of me melting it down...
just to keep it from violating another ithaca
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:58 pm
sell it on eBay, you might be surprised what some of the old gun parts bring. some folks just display interesting things
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:56 pm
i'm aware of ebay.
but the satisfaction of melting it down is more then equal to the few bucks i'd get.
even moreso being someone cut apart a prewar solid rib to add it
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:53 pm
ZOMBIE THREAD FLASHBACK

thought I'd follow up on this old thread.
turns out I never did anything with this old barrel and its polychoke.
the gun is a 41R I picked up pretty cheap because of the poly and its mismatched stock

I since replaced the wrong stock with a prewar stock.

well this has become my shootingest gun I have ,every thing I point this gun at crumples to the ground.
it has become my go to gun. a bane to every pheasant it unleashes on
while I would still never "add" a poly to a gun ,I might have room for another if it found me.
its actually become pretty indispensable for the varying cover I hunt.
I move between cly ,imp cly, and mod multiple times a day every time Im in the field.

I still don't know why someone would put a poly on a solid rib,
but I'm not mad at you anymore for doing it
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:08 am
Back in the day, EVERYONE just about put a Poly on. My uncle had three shotguns with polys on them, He loved them. they aren't too concerned with aesthetics back then, it was a working gun and visuals were totally unimportant. I will say They actually work pretty well and and while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, all I can say is that at least they aren't cutt compensators
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:42 am
another thing I noticed is what a difference a stock makes.
when I got the gun it had a hippie(60s)stock on it with a recoil pad .
I went to the range and couldn't hit squat with it .
I thought the problem was due to the poly

ever since I replaced the stock with a correct prewar profile the gun has come to life
Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:16 pm
The fit on a shotgun is everything. No other firearm requires the fit that a shotgun does.
Simple adjustments to LOP, Comb Height and cast can turn a a 23 shooter into a 12 shooter.
People don't realize how important it is to have your gun fit.
--Jim

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting