Ithaca Model xl 900 20 Guage Auto

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:34 pm
I am looking for info on switching the safety on this gun from left hand back to right hand? Previous owner was a leftie. Is there a chart somewhere on serial numbers and dates?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:18 pm
Welcome to Ithaca owners! You have a real nice gun. The XL900 was made when Ithaca was owned by SKB in Japan. I do not think there is a list of serial numbers and date of Manufacture any where. Unfortunately nobody has found records of them, I do believe that the trigger group and the safety is the same for the 12 gauge and the 20 gauge. Ron Sharp in Canada has some stock on those guns and might have the right hand safety. He is in Canada and he used to work for Ithaca and has a huge amount of parts. If you need his phone number I can personal message you it. They are a real pretty gun. The barrels are not blued they are chrome, black outside, silver inside. The last a lot longer and finger prints don't bother them.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:42 am
I was under the impression that the safety could just be reversed in the trigger group, rather than having to have a separate right hand safety. This gun shows both 2 3/4 and 3" chambers, a manual I downloaded showed an adjustment screw setting on the side of the forearm for high and low power shells. My gun does not have any adjustment screw that I can find. I have shot both length shells in the gun and they have ejected correctly. It has a vent rib barrel and is in really nice shape. I also have one of the early Model 500 20 Gauge O/U guns as well. I have had that one since 1969.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:48 am
You might very well be right. I have never had a left handed one or converted one. I shall ask Ron Sharp next time I speak to him. My XL900 12 gauge serial no. S1949823 does not have an adjustment screw, and it is chambered for 2.75 only. I also have a 600 Trap over and under in 12 gauge. It has a silver receiver and 32" barrels. You have some nice guns. The 20 gauges are worth more as they aren't as many. Thanks Donald.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:39 pm
More info, took the forearm off today and on the right side of the gas system there is the adjustment screw for high and low power. You can turn it with a fingernail in the slot, very easy. Now this gun only holds three shells at present. I'm hoping there is a plug in the magazine for duck hunting or something. Will have to find out more about that soon. I do agree with the comments that this gun has a very tight Mod choke compared to others I have.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:11 pm
Still trying to get a little help on removing the "plug" which limits the gun to three shots for legal waterfowl hunting. My books on Shotgun Assembly do not show the Ithaca XL900. I have not attempted to swap the safety yet either. I would like to have some kind of diagram or info before I take the trigger assembly out.
Will check back frequently for any info and or advice.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:06 pm
On my XL900 12 gauge, you take off the Magazine-forearm nut (end of forearm big and knurled) and the waterfowl plug is right there. It's black plastic with a bit of a larger head so it can't fall through. Dump the gun upside down (hold on to the forearm) and the plug falls right out. Maybe the twenty gauge is different. I never had my trigger group out, so can't help you there. Probably can find takedown manuals on Ebay. Hope that helps. Donald.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:12 pm
Still hoping for an answer here. Taking the fore end off does not reveal any plug, nothing obvious about how to remove the "waterfowl" plug that restricts the magazine to 3 shells. I have found the hi-power/low-power setting on the right side of the magazine tube under the wooden fore end. I have shot the gun several times with various shells including the three inch and everything functions perfectly. This is definitely the softest shooting semi-auto I have ever shot.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting