Rattling Carrier

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:35 pm
I just received my new Ohio model 37 12ga and I notice how loud the carrier rattles up & down with the action closed forward. Last month of ordered the 20ga model 37 and it doesn't doesn't rattle. Is this normal?
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:01 pm
Can you see any parts moving, or just hearing a rattling sound. While there has to be clearance in the parts, there should be no large amounts of movement to cause a rattle.

I would recommend that you call Zack in the service dept, or Jeremiah if Zack is not there and discuss the issue.

There is no difference in the mechanical design between the 2 guns. Differences in the size of certain components, yes, design no.

My Mag-87000xxxx 12ga made in 1988 doesn't rattle inside, nor should your newly made Ohio gun. Other than the precision that the new guns are made with, there is no appreciable difference (quality, fit and finish notwithstanding) between a 1988 gun and a 2014 gun.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:36 pm
With the action close I can rotate the gun around and the carrier will slide up and down above the bolt easily which makes a fairly loud metal to metal sound that's not good for hunting.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:42 pm
As I said, give them a call and discuss the situation.

Please keep us up to date on the resolution so there is a historical record in case others have the same issue.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:26 am
With the action forward and ejection port up you can see the sides of the carrier behind and below the bolt. With a probe I can easily move the carrier forks up and down which sounds like something rolling around loose in the receiver. This is no good for turkey hunting. I cycled some shells through and the action feeds and ejects great. I tried the same thing with the 20ga but the carrier forks seems to grab the sides of the receiver more so it doesn't move as easily and it doesn't make any noise. I did a web search on model 37 rattling sounds and found others who are experiencing this. One person wrote that he spread the carrier forks apart by bending it alittle and the rattling went away and so did another member of that post. I'm going to call Ithaca tomorrow see what they say.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:39 am
Good. Zack is very much the gentleman and will work to make sure you are happy.

If they say that spreading the fingers is an acceptable resolution to the issue, and you want to do it yourself, here is a field maintenance guide

http://stevespages.com/pdf/ithaca_3787.pdf

You should save it and print it off for your future reference, regardless.

They are easy to work on. A good set of hollow ground screwdrivers so you don't mess up the screw heads would be appropriate.

I have 4 12's and 10 16's and none rattle like that, so I find it "odd". I get a little forend assembly rattle if you shake the gun hard.

I work on, restore and build my own from pieces parts and haven't seen a carrier fork that is loose like that.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:56 am
If you want to tighten up the carrier movement so it stops the rattling. Remove the carrier locking screw (part no. 51) then take up on the carrier screw (part no. 52). These screws should not be very tight and use properly fitting screw drivers. If you bugger them up the carrier locking screw is $5 and the carrier screw is $4.50. What you will do is move the carrier screw inward slightly and put pressure on the carrier and it will be tighter between the screws. That should stop any rattling. PLEASE note these screws are not put in with locktite and do not need much torque. The carrier screw will bottom out in it's recess in the receiver so be very careful. It goes in just so far and bottoms out.

If you bend the carrier forks outward the carrier will drag on the sides of the receiver and alter the smooth operation of the gun. Good luck

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:30 pm
I contacted Zack and he took care of it. He sent me a Fedex return label and I shipped it back to Ohio. I had to send it back anyway because I also needed a left hand safety install. And tighening the screws is what he did to get rid of the rattling carrier. Ithaca has great customer service. Thank you, Zack.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting