Choke Tube Question

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:47 pm
This year I bought my first match set of 12 and 20 gauge model 37s. Up to now I've only been hunting with a 20 gauge Gentry double with fixed chokes. Back in the early '90s I bought my only screw-in choke gun which was a Browning A-5 12 gauge. While dove hunting the invector choke would start to back out on every third shot. Thinking I wasn't screwing in the choke tight enough I order a Browning choke wrench to replace the key style but that didn't fixed the problem. I finally call Browning Service department and they asked me if I was putting oil on the choke tube threads. I told them yes because that's what was called out in the manual to prevent the threads from seizing up. They told me to remove all oil and sure enough the chokes never came loose during shooting. I haven't shot my Ithacas but I was wondering how well the Briley tubes stay tighten and do you oil them?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:07 am
I don't see how oil would prevent a choke from backing out...I usually just wipe them with an oily rag after using and removing them.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:57 pm
If you don't use something you run the risk of them sticking. Screw in chokes will back out some, that's the price you pay for having screw in chokes. Many find that a light application of grease to the threads will not only keep them from sticking but provides just enough grab to keep them put. Go to Walmart and get a tub of cheap red grease. Use it in the pivot of your doubles every time you use them, in your choke tubes, and it'll last you just a bit longer than forever!

That said, still check them occasionally.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting