Post-855000 Receiver and King Ferry Barrel

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:41 am
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the board, but have been a lifelong Ithaca owner and user. One of the Ithaca 37s that I have is a post-855,000 16 gauge with a Deerslayer barrel. I recently purchased a King Ferry 16 gauge barrel with a vent rib that is threaded for choke tubes. However, it will not thread into the receiver. I inspected the threads and compared them to those on the Deerslayer barrel. The threads themselves look identical as far as I can tell by just eye-balling them. On the other hand, it looks like the threaded portion of the King Ferry barrel is just a touch too long. This isn't due to more threads - they have the same count. At the very beginning of the threads (the portion closest to the face of the breech), there is a small amount of unthreaded steel (maybe an 1/8 of an inch at most). This is thicker or longer on the King Ferry barrel than on the Deerslayer barrel (looks morel like a 1/16 of an inch). My thought is that the breech face should be able to be machined down ever so slightly to get it to fit. Does anyone have any experience with this, or can anyone offer some advice?

Kind Regards,
9.3x64
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:47 am
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum !!

Sorry that I can't help with your question...but please check back often as our resident experts may have the answer...

Enjoy the forum !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:10 am
Thanks for the response and warm welcome Shooter13 - I think I might try to post this over on the Ithaca 37 board and see if I can get another reply.

Regards,
9.3x64
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:59 pm
Yea, your barrel needs some hand fitting. Near the end King Ferry products were getting a bit ummm....haphazard.
--Jim

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:28 am
Thanks Jim. Should any decent gunsmith be able to do this, or should I reach out to someone like the new Ithaca company?
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:19 pm
Any good gunsmith who works with shotguns can handle this.
The factory will do a great job, if you have trouble finding one.
--Jim

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting