Load 2 modification M37?

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Gentlemen, while attempting to improve my IPSC performances with the 37, I have been experimenting with the Load 2 tandem technique.(One cartridge behind the other)

It seems as though I get it right 50% of the time and the rest are fails, some more spectacular than others. One issue seems to be the leading edge of the cartridge catching or fouling on the entrance rim of the magazine.

With 2 rounds in hand the approach angle is not ideal for a "no gate" load port. ( on something like an 870 the gate forms a ramp to the magazine) With a load 2 stack load, i.e. side by side the round is laid flat and each pushed in separately, but it is slower.

My question therefore is this; If I eased, bevelled or rounded the magazine edge to allow the rounds to ride over easily would there be any downside in other operations of the gun?

I wonder if any of you guys use your 37s in competition? Maybe you have done some modifications?

Some pictures attached with apologies for the kitchen table poses!
Attachments
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG (74.29 KiB) Viewed 26725 times
DSC_0063.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG (72.66 KiB) Viewed 26725 times
DSC_0060.JPG
DSC_0060.JPG (73.55 KiB) Viewed 26725 times
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:26 am
Seems like a good quick reload idea...

Not sure about the mods though... so I'll leave that to the experts here.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:21 am
If there is a burr or a sharp edge rounding it off so it is smooth wouldn't hurt. I would use a very fine grade ceramic file, run it lightly until the area is sooth and round and then blue it over. I would not do more than that, there is a certain amount of stress that particular area undergoes and removing any metal could cause weaknesses.

Just enough pressure to touch the file to metal and just enough strokes to make it smooth.

You know you can load one into the chamber directly. It takes a little practice, but is doable.

Have the gun ejection port up.
Move the slide about an inch or so up just until the carrier is fully retracted.
Drop a shell in and move the butt upward when it hits bottom.
While you are doing that, close the gun.

Make sure your finger is clear of the trigger so you don't slam fire and keep the muzzle clear of everything.

I learned to do that while shooting skeet.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:21 am
Thanks Jim, I believe a very small amount of rounding will do the trick, I will be delicate! This 37 is my '65 UK restricted model, 2 + 1 and I have been practising on courses of fire up to 28 steel plates. We start loaded and I do, as a matter of course, load the first into the chamber. With many targets to engage, fast reloading is the name of the game and my chosen method is to shoot 2, chamber the third then load 2. With the long courses of fire, this is, with this gun, 14 reloads, hence my practising and trying to fault find and eliminate my errors. The '65 will eventually become my pigeon gun when my 2nd 37 is on my updated licence, this is a 10 shot and so the reloading will be less crucial. However, practise now will only, I hope, benefit my future performance. I am also experimenting with various cartridge carry systems, both manufactured and home made to eliminate seconds here and there. I shall report in due course. Of course, alongside this is my future purchase of probably the Valtro box mag 12g, but, I still intend to compete with the 37, my first love.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:35 am
For your interest, My M37 current set-up and cartridge carrier system.
Gun; 5mw daylight (green) laser, backup green trudot fibre optic tube sight, ventilated handguard, side-saddle 5 round stock shell holder.
Belt; 4x California comp works 4 round caddies, 6 x home-made load2 carriers, 8 x individual clips. Total, with side-saddle 41 rounds, should be enough, even allowing for some misses and load fumbles! The belt is from B&Q (I guess Home Depot or Walmart in US) and is a padded tool carrier (the padding keeps the shells away from the body for easier access) The Load2 clips are 22mm plastic pipe clips, eased for quick release, mounted on 4" steel bars. The lower clip has a washer, heated and melt fitted as a base.
Attachments
DSC_0065.JPG
DSC_0065.JPG (97.21 KiB) Viewed 26692 times
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:22 am
Nice setup....
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:47 am
That's a pretty slick rig.
Do Keep me posted on how you did,

thanks
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:38 pm
i'd give up pheasant hunting if I needed that rig
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:26 pm
You and me both!!!
The steel plates are a little more prolific than the wildlife I get to shoot! You wouldn't think that an inanimate object could be an awkward SOB but they do occasionally test me, was it Arnie, Bruce or Chuck that said you can never have enough ammunition? I have received from the US some other bits of kit and will review once a little testing has been done.
Regards
Roland
PS for pigeon I usually have just half a box in my Barbour pocket
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:17 am
Well I slightly rounded the entrance to the mag tube and it does seem to have made an improvement. I did not touch the cut out area where the bottom extractor locates as by the time the shell is that far into the magazine the angle has changed and the leading edge rides over it easily. All I worked on was either side where the angle changes. I certainly had less fails than before and am happy that enough has been achieved that no more material needs to be removed. Just more practice now!

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting