Need advice on gun choice for me

Anything and everything related to hunting can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 am
Here is my situation... I own a 12 ga. Model 37 featherlite (1975) with smooth and rifled barrels. I also own a CVA Wolf .50 cal muzzleloader. Most of the time I am out bow hunting, but this year I started gun hunting as well. I am thinking about varmint / predator hunting this late winter and spring and wondered if either of the two mentioned guns can be used (or should be) for coyote hunting? Or, should I trade for or buy a rifle for that purpose?

I am not sure how accurate at distance either of the above can be, even with a lot of practice (100-200 yards). I thought about trying to trade the Model 37 for a rifle, but it was inherited from my dad and I'm not sure I want to part with it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:36 pm
While I myself do not coyote hunt I have talked with several people who do and use slug guns. As for the muzzle loader keep in mind that coyote hunting is often done at night. My advise would be to try the slug gun and see if it works well for you.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:45 pm
Night shooting at a cayote? I'd use No. 2 buckshot. It'll be lethal as far as you can see to shoot. You can run it thru a full choke gun too.

Robert Ruark wrote that one of the best guns for following a wounded leopard into the tall grass was a 12 gauge shotgun. I don't know what he loaded it with, but it was probably not solids.

Return to Hunting