Speedloaders and Caddies for shotguns

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:18 pm
holsterama.jpg
holsterama.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 44201 times

I have recently purchased from US manufacturers , 3 different types of speedloader/caddy for IPSC competition shooting. These were purchased from the States as this type of product is not readily available in the UK. The prices I quote are in Dollars, plus postage, for UK the Dollar price becomes Pounds when postage added (approximate)
The first item is from Holsterama.com and is a tactical type belt with plastic 12g shell holders slid onto it. The belt is an ample length ( infinitely adjustable) and has a strong, plastic, snap shut clasp(NRA badged) While the shell holders are slid on, they can be cut at the bottom (an on-purpose, weak area) and then become snap-on and off. This is a great idea, as when not competing in tactical matches, a few, or as many clips as you need, can be easily removed and simply clipped on your favourite leather belt for wing shooting etc. There are 30 clips supplied and for a normal sized guy that's about the whole belt, for a slim lady shooter some would need to be removed.
In use, the clips have great retention, even when moving over obstacles etc. Conversely, they release the shells with ease when either snapped out or slid up. For competition, I have found that having the shells high in the clip (they don't slip down) made grabbing 2 or 3 at a time easy and smooth. I think that this is a well-made product that does exactly what it sets out to do, and for just under $30 is well worth it. the only modification that I would counsel is the addition of a firm sponge inner belt to set the cartridges away from the body for easier grabbing when under pressure and going for speed.
Last edited by impala59 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:32 pm
HipRemove[1].jpg
HipRemove[1].jpg (59.8 KiB) Viewed 44200 times

The second item is from Makershot.com and is a ten shell caddy/speedloader. It is similar to the previous in that the shells clip in and are friction retained. the outside 5 rounds can be stripped out but the inner 5 really need to be slid out. this makes it very much a jack-of-all-trades in that it is at home in competition and also in more relaxed shooting environments. Retention is very good and by staggering the shells this would be a good feeder for those using a double gun as well as those of us speedloading into pumps and autos. The device attaches to your belt, tac-vest (or waistband ) by means of a plastic tongue with a non-return lug at the bottom. At $14.99 good value and well made. Available in colours as well as black
Last edited by impala59 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:20 am
The first type are usually known as "Prodec" clips in the UK although the ones that you got don't sound *identical*. Here's me using my home-made Prodec belt and hat-band; the latter is for quick top-ups when I run the Chiappa 1887 dry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-26BV-LVE

The hat-band also allows a quick change of ammo. I first realised a need for this when trying to shoot clays with buckshot at over fifty yards - oh, how I needed a quick way to load a single birdshot cartridge... :)

I'm still using Prodec clips after doing PSG for over five years; I'm not as competitive as many shooters but, of course, it's still great fun.

These days, o'course, the load-2 and load-4 belts are the "in thing". They're quick but expensive to buy. Our club still has one of our better shooters using Prodecs to load his gun one round at a time. I generally grab three at a time to load my M37:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COjjA7Xa9h8

(Except when I chuck one on the ground.)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Are you going to visit Popham for one of our Open shoots this year?
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:16 am
Hi Mark
Yes Prodec was what I initially looked for and got zero response from the net, the Holsterama belt is essentially the same. (and fast delivery from the States)
Funny I chuck loads on the ground too!
And yes I hope to visit Popham this year, still on sect 2 at moment although my sect 1 37 is safely stored for me pending licence
Last edited by impala59 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:36 am
The third type of caddy to review, I actually bought secondhand in the UK but it is available from Midway USA at $24. It is the California Competition Works 4 shell caddy. It is the most expensive per round carried, but, as the rounds are loose within, it also "seems" or "feels" the fastest. Made of high quality hard plastic and sprung steel it is a solid well-made device. At only 4 rounds capacity, of course you would need multiples to compete and it then gets very expensive. The shells are held sideways and retained by wire loop springs at the top. Sized for 3", they come with spacers for shorter shells. With a full caddy, retention is excellent but I have lost odd rounds from partially full units when moving at speed around the range, this is due to the "loose" carry feature. As your skill level increases, I believe that this would not be an issue as you would probably "load4" (Quad load) The belt retainer clip would be strong enough to tow your car, it is that over-engineered, but superior quality anyway This device is also available as a 6 shell unit and, if you also shoot an AR15, will hold your 20 round magazines, so, good dual purpose.
ccw-with-els[1].jpg
ccw-with-els[1].jpg (8.09 KiB) Viewed 44192 times

As Mark stated, the way to go really fast is with the "load2" and "load4" units available from various companies. I am working on my Mk2 home-made version, ( due to the expense) The mk1 works ok but can be improved upon. I will report as and when
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:02 am
impala59 wrote:Yes Prodec was what I initially looked for and got zero response from the net

My approach was to enter "Prodec Worksop" into Google and Bob's yer uncle... (I don't actually know whether they still make 'em.)
I hope to visit Popham this year

Glad to hear that. :)

Regards,

Mark.
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:07 pm
Front.JPG
Front.JPG (112.5 KiB) Viewed 44027 times
My wife bought me this next item ( I think she was fed up with me making devices on the kitchen table!) From Chameleon Fabric in the Czech Republic comes the Loadtwo Mounted on a flexible but fairly stiff backing plate are 14 modules which each hold 2 cartridges. Although they are only held at the top of one and the bottom of the other, the retention is surprisingly good and, somewhat confusingly, the release is smooth and easy. But, this is a good thing! The technique is to grab two rounds line astern, and feed the magazine by pushing the first in with the second. The modules are set away from the belt so getting a good grip is relatively easy. As with all these competition accessories practice is the key. Instructions say that a file can be drawn across the bearing surfaces to ease release, but it seems ok as standard so far. The belt is generous in length, wide and comfortable. It fastens with a large Velcro patch. One spare module is included, together with spare fixing hardware ( the fixings are top quality and very over-engineered) On the critical side, I would have liked to be able to adjust the angle of the modules as these are set vertical. At $115 plus shipping its not cheap but compares well to the previously reviewed devices and if you want to seriously compete in pump or auto class IPSC matches then this could be the equipment to have, Thanks Honey :D
Front 2.JPG
Front 2.JPG (143.18 KiB) Viewed 44027 times

Return to Product Review