M37 Chamber check/load change ?

Anything and everything related to tactical and home defense use of firearms can be posted here.

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:04 am
Hello,

I am considering a M37 Defense for four purposes: 1) A backup homedefense long gun (a carbine would be primary) 2) A backup duffle bag/travel long gun. 3) Nostalgia (love those old episodes of Adam 12 and Dragnet :) 4) Three gun competition (shooting for fun, not to win).

So, with that said, I'm not seeing how the M37 is superior to a 870 in terms of chamber checking and load changes, among other things. But, I have been wrong about gun designs before from the outside looking in.

Can someone explain to me how much more of a hassle it is to chamber check a M37, or do a load change, (or chamber load from an empty magazine), as opposed to say an 870 ? I'm not seeing it. But maybe there is a work around I haven't thought of ? It's not a deal breaker. I just want to know what I'm getting beforehand so I can make a more informed decision. The way I see it, there is no way to perform these operations without flipping the reciever upside down, right ?

Also, I wanted to get both a 20ga, and and 12ga, both in defense models. Is the 20ga on a smaller frame (I hope), like the 870 ? It's not a deal breaker, just a nice touch to have a smaller and lighter 20ga frame.

Thanks in advance,
Zippy

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:54 pm
Last question first, yes the 20 ga. is on a smaller frame and is smaller in all dimensions to the 12, or 16 ga. guns.

I own an old 1967 Remington Wingmaster, (870) and several Ithaca 37's. The Wingmaster doesn't see much daylight unless my grandson is around and wants to shoot, (I gave it to him, but it's still in my possesion). My M-37 Magnum is the most handled and used shotgun I've ever owned, I think so much of it, it has 4 barrels, a rifled 20" DS, a smoothbore 20" DS, a 26" vent rib upland barrel with interchangeable chokes, and it's original 30" vent rib full choke barrel. The '37 just fits and I hit what I point at with it. The Wingmaster, not so much at all. It's a nice gun, but just doesn't fit me nearly as well as a '37. If I want to miss, I'll carry a sling, chuck a pointed stick, or throw rocks, they're much lighter and easier to carry around than a gun and a bunch of shells.

I have no problem loading, checking my chamber on my '37's, or changing out loads. It's just a matter of knowing your gun. In fact, I find it easier and safer than using my Wingmaster. I've only ever shot rifle compitition and we always used chamber flags, a small plastic device that slipped into the chamber with a tab sticking out that proved no live round could be chambered, I guess they make them for shotguns also. In short, the Ithaca is simply a different learning curve than the Remington, but no more difficult. Once you compare fit, shootability, quality, and customer service...The Ithaca is WAY above the Remington. You won't go wrong with an Ithaca '37. They are worth every penny you would spend and the customer service is the best in the industry.

By the way, you forgot to mention, "Barney Miller". They also had M-37's on their show. :D

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:26 pm
I can appreciate your concerns about loading the model 37 over a side eject shot gun. I agree with the above in that once you learn the gun it is no more difficult than a side eject and much easier to unload.
-In order to load the first round into the chamber you have two options.
A) With action closed (and safety on while being pointed in a safe direction of course) place first round into magazine tube; press the action release on the front of the trigger guard, and cycle the action. This operation is something that any pump or auto loading shotgun shooter should be able to do with the action facing up, down, sideways, or otherwise in the dark especially if they are counting on the gun for defense.
B) With the action open (and above disclaimer) push the lifter all of the way up into the receiver. Insert the shell all of the way into the chamber (not just thrown into the action but actually inserted into the barrel chamber) and close action. The first couple of times you practice this you will most likely have to turn the receiver upside down and look at what you are doing however with practice it is doable in any direction.
-In order to unload you again have two options.
A) Work the action until all shells have been tossed out of the gun. This is the same process as any other auto loading or pump shot gun.
B) With the action closed depress the left hand shell stop. With practice you can get the shells to pop out one at a time into the palm of your hand with the receiver pointed in several directions. Then work the action to unload the chamber. This operation is much less noisy and you do not have to chase after loaded shells. It is also handy if you want to switch the first round in the magazine tube or what is in the chamber with out unloading the whole gun. Kind of a similar idea to the shell stop in a Browning A5 or a Benellie Nova.

I myself have owned a number of different model pump guns including Ithaca 37 /87 Mossberg 500, Winchester model 12, Winchester model 1200 / 1300, Remington model 10, Remington model 870, Benelli Nova, Browning BPS, and Smith & Wesson 3000. I do like the tang safety on the 500 and BPS however of all of the above my personal preferred gun is the model 37 Ithaca. Most of the others have been sold off or traded over the years. While all of the above guns are well made and respected in there own right the 37 is what I personally trust to protect my family if needed.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:38 pm
Thanks for the replies so far. I believe this has helped me figure it out. There appears to be a work around. Perhaps not perfect, but not so bad either. I believe most of it would involve canting the shotgun off the shoulder away from the body, then loading could occur somewhat independent of status, i.e. no matter what the status of the gun reloading would occur all pretty much the same way (as opposed to a chamber load on a side ejector). Or, when in doubt, you could just load one into the mag. tube, rack the slide, and either you tossed a live one on the ground, or you didn't. I actually do this sometimes with a pistol. I did it the other day in an IDPA match under conditions of slight confusion.

Load changes ? I dunno. As I don't have an M37 (yet). I'll have to take your word for it, though what I have seen on YouTube doesn't look terribly complex to me, so long as it doesn't hurt the gun over time to finger the lifter around.

Thanks again. I like what I'm hearing.
Zippy

P.S. Didn't know about Barney Miller. My grandfather loved that show. I'll have to watch for that. :D
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:27 am
Alot of it is practice and what you are comfortable with. I grew up on a 37 so I can pretty much load and unload one on reflex. how it fits will be a factor, too. There is nothing wrong with any Remington Shotgun and yet I can yet found one I feel comfortable putting on my shoulder. They just do not feel right to me.

There are some advantages to a bottom eject over that it is ambidextrous. The receiver is stronger since there is only one hole instead of two. Also, since the only hole it has is pointed down, there is much less chance of crap getting in and building up in the receiver. This can be a deal if you hunt or shoot alot in dirty conditions, tall grass fields, thickly wooded forest.

Also the Ithaca does not have any stamped parts. All of its parts are milled/machined and no rivets are used, while on an 870, a few parts are stamped and the ejector is riveted to the receiver with the head filed smooth. If the ejector breaks, you have to drill it out and rivet a new one in. Then file smooth and reblue. It is rare that it happens, but was done to save costs.
--Jim

Return to Tactical And Home Defense