Ithaca 87 removable barrel advice

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:58 am
Gents,

Great forum here. I am thinking about an 20ga M87 with rifled barrel on gunbroker. I would buy the new DSII, but I want a 20" barrel. My one reservation is that the barrel is removable. My intention is to put a red dot on the receiver for shots out to 75, maybe 100 yards. My question is, could I remove and reattach the barrel and still have a decent degree of confidence in my zero? I know this question might not be easy to answer but appreciate any thoughts you all may have - thank you!

Waldo

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:22 am
Quick answer, yes you will get extreemly repeatable accuracy out of a '37/'87 slug barrel with the interupted thread system, (the best in the business). Most other current manufacturer's like Remington use a "slip fit" barrel system which can position slightly in the receiver each time they're changed out and are dependant on a cap nut on the end of the magazine tube to be tightened the same everytime. Ithaca's interupted thread system is simmiler to the breech block of a large artillery piece, locking extreemly close to exact each time. The only better system for consistant accuracy would be a fully threaded barrel into the receiver, but you would loose field barrel interchangeabillity, (it would require mounting the barrel in a vice and using a receiver wrench to mount/dismount, then gauging headspace, usually a job for a gunsmith).

Welcome to the forum! ;)

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:33 am
Many thanks Krag! USMC I assume? I am in the Stan right now enjoying the coverage of the Eastern Sporting Show boycott in your neck of the woods . . .

I wish they made a 20" version - I even called Ithaca but they said 24" only. Looking forward to hearing other members chime in but you certainly seem to know what you are talking about. Now, to open a huge can of worms, I would love to know your thoughts on the value of the gun in question - I dont think I am breaking any forum rules by posting this link but if I am I apologize . . .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =327925090

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 am
Does it show? :lol: Rifleman, (that's what they were auditioning for at the time) 3/5 1969-1970. I live about 25 miles up river from the Farm Show Complex in a peaceful little valley, haven't even been on an interstate highway in over a year. I like it here.

That gun was made in 1993 and sure is a beauty! I prefer a 20" barrel myself on a slug gun. I'm looking at a barrel on Gun Broker for my '37 Magnum Model, but haven't bid on it yet. I missed on one yesterday, out bid, but I stuck to my limit on that one. There'll be others. ;)

Return to Ithaca Deerslayer