Ithaca Deerslayer Troubleshooting

Moderator: ripjack13

Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Having trouble with your Ithaca Deerslayer? Then post up your problems here...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:07 am
I have a deerslayer 2 and want to know if its possible to remove the bolt assembly for cleaning without removing the barell.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:02 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum !!

And your question...don't think so !!
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 pm
You can do it by removing the stock, removing the trigger group, removing the carrier and disengaging the slide from the breech block and sliding the entire thing out the rear of the gun. If you want to disassemble the breech block be especially careful when removing the top extractor, when you remove that pin you can send either the extractor or the spring or both into another time zone. It is best to put it in a lead lined vise so you can use two hands. And all the pins in the breech block go from left to right if you look at it from the bottom with the rear of the breech block facing you. Then just reverse the order to reassemble. Generally, unless it is really nasty, I just clean it while assembled, removing only the firing pin check pin.

Unless they changed something in the design of the deerslayer, this is how I've always done it. I have yet to pull the breechblock in a a new DS model.
--Jim

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:19 am
I have a Deerslayer, and as most here, the gun will not eject the empty hull after firing, I see this with many of these guns, but I do not see anyone posting remedies, Can someone help? Short of sending my gun to Ithaca, I dont know what to do!! I have tried a vigorous cleaning of the chamber but no help!!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:11 pm
ravengunsmith wrote:You can do it by removing the stock, removing the trigger group, removing the carrier and disengaging the slide from the breech block and sliding the entire thing out the rear of the gun. If you want to disassemble the breech block be especially careful when removing the top extractor, when you remove that pin you can send either the extractor or the spring or both into another time zone. It is best to put it in a lead lined vise so you can use two hands. And all the pins in the breech block go from left to right if you look at it from the bottom with the rear of the breech block facing you. Then just reverse the order to reassemble. Generally, unless it is really nasty, I just clean it while assembled, removing only the firing pin check pin.

Unless they changed something in the design of the deerslayer, this is how I've always done it. I have yet to pull the breechblock in a a new DS model.

This is also how an Ithaca model 37 with a removable barrel is taken down as well. The breech block / bolt does not come out of the front of the gun like a 870, Mossberg, or Winchester 1200 /1300.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:18 pm
Boogerm45 wrote:I have a Deerslayer, and as most here, the gun will not eject the empty hull after firing, I see this with many of these guns, but I do not see anyone posting remedies, Can someone help? Short of sending my gun to Ithaca, I dont know what to do!! I have tried a vigorous cleaning of the chamber but no help!!

We need more information as to what exactly your problem is. Is it coming out of the chamber at all. If not check you extractors. Ensure that both are in good condition and clean. If the shell is coming out of the chamber and then getting jammed inside of the gun you may have a problem with the forks on the lifter / ejector. You may need to replace it.
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:22 pm
1977cutcher wrote:
ravengunsmith wrote:You can do it by removing the stock, removing the trigger group, removing the carrier and disengaging the slide from the breech block and sliding the entire thing out the rear of the gun. If you want to disassemble the breech block be especially careful when removing the top extractor, when you remove that pin you can send either the extractor or the spring or both into another time zone. It is best to put it in a lead lined vise so you can use two hands. And all the pins in the breech block go from left to right if you look at it from the bottom with the rear of the breech block facing you. Then just reverse the order to reassemble. Generally, unless it is really nasty, I just clean it while assembled, removing only the firing pin check pin.

This is also how an Ithaca model 37 with a removable barrel is taken down as well. The breech block / bolt does not come out of the front of the gun like a 870, Mossberg, or Winchester 1200 /1300.

Yup, spot on '77
--Jim

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:56 pm
Boogerm45 wrote:I have a Deerslayer, and as most here, the gun will not eject the empty hull after firing, I see this with many of these guns, but I do not see anyone posting remedies, Can someone help? Short of sending my gun to Ithaca, I dont know what to do!! I have tried a vigorous cleaning of the chamber but no help!!

We do need a little more information. Does this happen with all brands of shells or just one? Like 77 also says check the lifters. Also if it is an older smoothbore type check the headspace.

Return to Ithaca Deerslayer