Ithaca Deerslayer III Overview

Moderator: ripjack13

Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:09 pm
http://ithacagun.com/deerslayer3.html
When you are standing at the edge of a wide field and suddenly the buck of a lifetime appears--but he's a long way away--you'll be happy that the Deerslayer III is your slug gun of choice. Called a "laser beam" by one prominent gun writer, the DSIII is built upon the classic Model 37 action and uses a fluted heavy-walled rifled barrel to produce its impressive results. It’s fully rifled, so many brands of slugs perform well through the DSIII. The gun is available in 12 gauge and 20 gauge.

The Deerslayer III features:

The Ithaca Deerslayer 3•Deadly accurate performance to 200 yards

•A receiver that is machined from a solid block of steel

•Solderless Barrel System

•The strongest, truest barrel of any slug gun

•Robust extraction for today's high power ammunition

•Crisp, rifle-like 4-6lb. trigger pull

•Drop tine deer head engraving

•Fancy black walnut stock and forend

Deerslayer III Features Features Benefits
3" Chamber Shoot 2 3/4" or 3" slugs
26" Heavy-walled, fluted, fixed barrel Increases rigidity and decreases muzzle jump, therefore improves accuracy
Fully Rifled in 1:28 Twist for 12 gauge - 1:24 Twist for 20 gauge Yields the best accuracy and consistency round-to-round
Weaver #62 rail pre-installed on receiver Mount your scope of choice
Fancy A grade walnut monte carlo stock; flat bottomed forend Comb height optimized for scope use
Pachmayr 750 Decelerator® Recoil Pad~black Chosen for its superior kick-reducing properties
Sling swivel studs included Outfit your DSIII with a sling for ease-of-carry
Deep blued with matte finish on top radii of receiver Visually appealing, reduces glare
Gold-plated trigger Resists corrosion
Includes gun and owners manual. Ithaca wants your DSIII to last a long time and be used safely

Deerslayer III Specifications Gauge Weight Length of Pull Drop at Comb Drop at Heel Overall Length
12 Gauge 9.5 Lbs as pictured with scope 14.25" 1.25" 2.125" 45.625" w/26" barrel
1.50" DARC

20 Gauge 8.1 Lbs as pictured with scope 14.25" 1.25" 2.125" 45.625" w/26" barrel
1.50" DARC

12 Gauge 9.5 Lbs as pictured with Thumb-hole stock but with no scope 14.25" 0.75" DAC 1.125" 45.750" w/26" barrel

20 Gauge 8.1 Lbs as pictured with Thumb-hole stock but with no scope 14.25" 0.75" DAC 1.125" 45.750" w/26" barrel

* - DARC: denotes Drop At Raised Comb - Another Dimension In Measuring Monte Carlo Stocks

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:16 am
I bought the new DeerSlayer III this year and love it. I upgraded the stock to AAA and purchased it without a mounted scope. I installed a Leupold scope and rings. This is one beautiful shotgun, almost too nice to hunt with but I will. I have a 73' Deerslayer that my wife bought for me new and have upgraded it with a Ithaca rifled barrel. The 73' has open sight for close cover.

I haven't selected the slugs yet that I will use this deer season but have several brands to select from.

If anyone out there has dialed in their 12 gauge Deerslayer III, please let me know what kind of ammo you are using and why.

RGJZ06
RGJZ06
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:24 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum RGJZ06 !!

When you find the time, stop by the New Members Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community !! ;)

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:35 pm
RGJZ06 wrote:I bought the new DeerSlayer III this year and love it. I upgraded the stock to AAA and purchased it without a mounted scope. I installed a Leupold scope and rings. This is one beautiful shotgun, almost too nice to hunt with but I will. I have a 73' Deerslayer that my wife bought for me new and have upgraded it with a Ithaca rifled barrel. The 73' has open sight for close cover.

I haven't selected the slugs yet that I will use this deer season but have several brands to select from.

If anyone out there has dialed in their 12 gauge Deerslayer III, please let me know what kind of ammo you are using and why.

RGJZ06

I'd love to see some pictures of the AAA wood, I was thinking of ordering one with it!
Which leupold did you go with?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:53 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum mrwhite1 !!

When you find the time, stop by the New Members Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community !! ;)

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:29 am
mrwhite1 wrote:
RGJZ06 wrote:I bought the new DeerSlayer III this year and love it. I upgraded the stock to AAA and purchased it without a mounted scope. I installed a Leupold scope and rings. This is one beautiful shotgun, almost too nice to hunt with but I will. I have a 73' Deerslayer that my wife bought for me new and have upgraded it with a Ithaca rifled barrel. The 73' has open sight for close cover.

RGJZ06

I'd love to see some pictures of the AAA wood, I was thinking of ordering one with it!
Which leupold did you go with?

I haven't downloaded any pictures of the gun I purchased but will need to do that.

I installed a 3.5/10/50mm Leupold and it is illuminated, (30mm main tube).

It's more scope than this gun needs but I already had it and it wasn't mounted on anything so I installed it on the gun. I have Leupold rings as well and the 50mm objective sits a hair above the barrel. The DSIII comes with the base already installed on the receiver so all you need are the rings. This scope has the B&C reticle.

As far as the AAA grade stock goes, every one of them is different. On their web site is a custom gun section. Pictured in that section are various grades of stocks. Some of them are way beyond the AAA Grade. When I placed the order, I told them what type of wood I was looking for and referenced one of the pictures in the custom section. I asked if they had a AAA stock like the one pictured and they said yes they did. The person that took my order went back in the shop and put my name on it. When my order was processed through the shop, the stock she selected was installed during the buildup. The stock I received on this gun was alot nicer than what I expected. Like I said on the first post, it's almost too nice to hunt with but I will.

Good luck with your new gun.
RGJZ06

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:06 am
RGJZ06, we must have similar taste I had planned on putting either a leupold 3.5-10x50mm or a 4.5-14x50mm. I found out last time I went hunting antelope with a 3.5-10 that I want to see what I'm shooting at... Quickly replaced with a 6.5-20..
If you don't mind, would you email me at wv50bmg@gmail.com I have a few more details about the gun I'd like to discuss. Which leupold rings and height did you use?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:44 am
I am a DS3 owner since 08. Mine has the thumbhole stock, see thru rings, Nikon BDC slughunter, front bead for upclose shots. Exhuasted approximately 50 rounds of various sabot ammo and it came down to the Remmington Accutip that works best in my weapon. I dropped a doe at 217 yards from a kneeling offhand position slightly uphill. Held 200 yard bar at the top of her back above her front quarter and that is exactly where the slug impacted. One shot and she dropped out of view. Tried Hornady SST rounds first but they just were not consistent in my gun. Remington held the best offhand groups for me at 100 yards. Good luck and enjoy.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:42 pm
waiting on my nikon slughunter and thats what i am gonna fire are remington accutips...I CANT WAIT!!!

Return to Ithaca Deerslayer