Refinishing stock and forend

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm
Refinishing a stock and forend of a Model 37. Does anyone know the type of finish that the factory used on stocks and forends? The types of finishes would be linseed oil, tung oil, polyeurethane, etc. Or if you would have a good suggestion for another type of finish, I would appreciate it. Thanks

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 am
The type of wood finish may well depend on the era your Featherlight was made and it's grade.

Welcome fellow Ithaca shooter!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:49 pm
Thanks for the welcome. My model 37 was made in 1972. I recently purchased it, knowing work needed to be done to the stock. I have done woodworking for a number of years, so refinishing a stock is easy. It is all about having a good sander. Still deciding on which finish to use. With oil finishes, periodic reapplication is necessary and scratches can be touched up with additional oil. With polyurethane, the finish does not need maintenance, but scratches are evident. To cover up scratches, the entire surface must be sanded and another coat of polyurethane applied. So I am not sure which way to go. Found this forum the other day, and thought I would ask for advice.

I have owned a model 87 for 20+ years, and have enjoyed the gun. Bought the model 37 so I could invite someone to go deer hunting. I am enjoying restoring the gun. Didn't know the history of the model 37 until an article in American Hunter a few years back. Thanks for the help

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:58 am
Just me, (and I'm not always right) I prefer Tru-Oil finish from Birtchwood Casey to anything. Even if the factory finish wasn't oil and if I refinish a stock that's what I've used for 40+ years, (I just don't have the room for a dip tank full of hot linseed oil like Springfield Armory used). :D
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:18 am
I have been trying to find the discussion that I read that during one period of time, Ithaca used spar varnish on the stocks. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it.

My 1956 buttstock is in need of refinishing, and the "chippies" in it, and the way it gets water spots, sure looks like a type of varnish. Of course varnishes, especially the non-polyurethane ones, do have natural oils and components as their makeup.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:50 am
i've been told that it was a laquer finish that was used

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:25 am
twistedoak wrote:i've been told that it was a laquer finish that was used

You're right twisted oak. Lacquer was one of the finishes used on Featherlights. I can try and find it in the book again, but I do remember reading that it was among the finishes they used.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:50 am
That would be Duco laquer, here is another discussion about it

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... &p=1890210

obviously if you really wanted to know, you could contact Les Hovencamp and ask him

http://www.diamondgunsmithing.com/

he was Ithaca's main gunsmith while it was in New York

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:32 am
Thanks to those who replied to my inquiry. The stock and forend had been painted black over the original finish. I stripped them with a wood scraper, and the original finish came off along with the paint. This, along with the posts above, indicates it is a laquer. I appreciate the help, and will post picts when I am done.

Return to Ithaca Model 37