1948 16ga

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:15 pm
I got the guesstimate back already! .

80.00 to 100.00. the company has a lazer welding machine that doesn't heat up the metal like regular welding does.

I also have access to a mill if need be.

even if there is a small bit of discoloration, it is still better than having the pits there. They are just too deep in a couple spots to sand out. One spot is about .008 below the surface.

I will keep everyone apprised. if this works out, it will be good for folks to know.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:54 pm
Back from being welded. Needless to say, as the below pictures testify, he does a really nice job. If I can find someone to touch up the engraving for a reasonable price, I will however, it is not as important to me as the pits being gone. The next set of pictures will be after I draw file it down and polish the weld flush. Then the final set will be after bluing is done.

Remember the first picture is what it looked like

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:02 am
I have been redoing the stock also. The inletting for the action typically gets oil soaked. Acetone, kitty litter, Citristrip mixed with kitty litter all have been used to suck the oil out of the wood. Acetone will not hurt the wood but will remove finish of course.

Here are some pictures. As you can see, the acetone does not damage the stock.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 am
It is hard to get a good photo with the glare. The line (discoloration) is a shadow. Overall I am pretty happy about this. There are a couple scratches and some small pits that I can't get out without some very aggressive sanding and some of the engraving was lost (as to be expected).

While it is definitely not a silk purse, no longer is it a sow's ear. The best part ?

I won't have to put a bag over my head with eye slits cut to hide my identity when I go hunting with this gun, nor will I have to be ashamed to lend it to someone.

Not bad for an old, half crippled guy, eh ?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 am
Here are the pics. As you can see, there is a slight mismatch, however, from what it started as, to this point, it is now a pretty nice hunting gun.

I think this technique, especially if someone was going to color case harden an action, would really work to bring back one of the old timers, especially since there is no heat distortion from the lazer.

I still have to do the wood. Actually I am going to use this wood to restore a 1952 that I bought that had the buttstock cut for a recoil pad. I will get a repro stock for this gun as I want the '52 to be period correct.

The gun with the polychoke is the one I am fixing for my wife to hunt turkeys with. The barrel and buttstock LOP is exactly the same as the one I am assembling from the receiver I bought from Numrich and found the 24" VR barrel for.

I polished and had the barrel reblued on it. Eventually I will do the receiver and mag tube. (In a year or so, it is not critical at this point, I Ox-phoed it to touch up a couple bare spots that you can see as glare, but when you look at it directly, it appears blued)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:41 pm
Restoration is looking good...!!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:34 pm
It's looking mighty fine indeed!
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:06 am
That's a pretty good job on the receiver. when it is all said and done you might want to send the receiver out to be hot blued. That would blend in the repairs into a single smooth finish. What you have now is fine, but if you wanted to pretty it up, that would be the best way to go.
--Jim

Return to Ithaca Model 37