1951 M37

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:59 pm
Hello all.

I'm considering purchasing subject firearm for home-defense. It was converted for home-defense at an unknown point in its history with the wood replaced with what are now rare for the M37, as the company no longer makes it, Pachmyr grips (front-aft).

Serial number on the barrel, matches that on the receiver. The barrel is 18" or 18.5" and there is an empty hole at the end of the barrel where the missing sight-bead once resided.

So, my questions. Do you think the barrel was modified, or did Ithaca in fact make a barrel that size for its 1951 models? If the hole near the end of the barrel is in fact the bead mounting point, this leads me to believe the barrel may in fact be the original size.

If the bead hole is original, is it threaded and if so what is the thread size?

Lastly, I am far from being an expert on any firearm as this will be my first. What would be considered a "fair" price for it in "good" condition (I realize the term is relative)?

Thanks,

Tom

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:52 pm
Thread size should be 6/48 if it was done at the Ithaca factory. Ithaca did make military, police, and riot guns, in various barrel lenths, but there's no way of telling without looking closely at it if it's one of those, or it was an altered sporting arm.

They're fine guns and would do well as a home defense weapon. What is the asking price? I paid $160.00 for a nice 1953 12ga. Featherweight about 5 years ago, and a few weeks ago paid, $350.00 for a like new Magnum Model made in 1981.

A "fair" price in "Good" condition is very vague, (I don't bother too much with "Blue Book" if I wat it and the price is within reason). All I can say is, if it functions well, seems tight, and fits your needs...Buy it, you won't go wrong with a '37! If you plan on keeping it, it's worth what you decide it's worth. A new 6/48 brass bead is ony a few bucks and a "TruGlo" is about $12.00-$15.00, but are best fitted by a gunsmith, lest some threads protrude into the bore causing a partial obstruction.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:41 pm
Okay, after viewing the gun I can say without a doubt, it never was a riot gun. It most likely had a 30" barrel as it's marked FULL choke. The thread size for a bead is whatever, whoever decided to make it. With the heat shield on it, I doubt if the bead could be seen anyway, (you woud need something higher to see it, not that it matters, it's a gut gun, point and pull).

All in all it's not a bad job of making an overcoat gun out of a field sporter '37, and the current price seems reasonable if that's the kind of thing you want. You'll have a real angry tiger in your hands shooting anything except light target loads though! Not what I would suggest for a first time buyer!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:33 am
Thanks krag! I appreciate your time and input.

There's a' 73 "DS.Police Special" with what looks like original wood and a correctly stamped 20" barrel also for sale. Current bid is for $400, but the reserve's not met.

I'll skip the hack job and eyeball the one intact. Not sure about how far I should bid. Money's not the issue, getting ripped off due ignorance is.
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:08 am
I paid $500 for mine. If you feel like the bidding is getting out of control, look for a deerslayer I. Except for the 8 shot magazine, they are pretty close to the same and you can get one for a whole lot less more likely.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am
I picked up a 1966 M37 with a 26" bbl, IC for $210 out the door late in Dec '12. Prices seem to be all over the place as of late for shotguns, but fairly low due to hunting season pretty much finished all over and high demand for 'assault weapons' driving them down to crazy low prices. Heck my Hogslayer was a fantastic deal for a virtually new rifled unit.

Deerslayers are so hard to find down here. I passed on a 12g uplands combo early last summer and have wanted to kick myself in the ass the entire time since. Seller would not budge on $375 and I did not want to pay past $330-340. :roll: Stupid me. It was an early '80s build.
Insert comical quip here.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:08 pm
I would much prefer an 18-20" gun with a stock rather than a pistol grip myself, like posted above, a used DeerSlayer with a smoothbore barrel would be perfect for home defense in my opinion. Tacticool is okay, but I think you would be better off with a stock against your shoulder.

BTW, the DS stands for DeerSlayer.

Return to Ithaca Model 37