Possible to add choke threads to a 20" 7+1 defense model?

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm
I'm interested in 3gun, HM division which is 12ga pump only. I'm also a lefty so it's either Ithaca or Browning BPS for me.
Is the "standard" thickness barrel on the defense model thick enough to safely allow threading for chokes either at the factory or by a gunsmith?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:34 pm
Goole search Mike Orlen barrel service. He has a price listr and lists the min. OD and ID dimensions.
I've had him relieve a 16 gauge choke for me and he is fast and good.
Rex

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:22 pm
Thank you - sure looks like the man to go to. Now, to decide whether I'm nuts for considering 3gun with a 20" barrel...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 am
It's funny that you should bring this up now - I'm having the same problem, myself.

For two years, I bucked the (UK) trend of using Benellis and, instead, I've shot PSG using a couple of early-eighties M37 DSPS shotguns.

Then, a year ago, I took delivery of a Chiappa 1887 and used *that*. The Chiappa is multi-choked and I hadn't appreciated just *how* much difference that'd make on longer targets. (With the M37s, had become known for practically getting close enough to bayonet 'em...)

The thing is, although I love shooting the Chiappa, I'm always near the bottom of the score sheet because loading it is so difficult, although I *am* improving.

For more "serious" use, I'd prefer the M37 - especially as it's become more reliable since I managed to source some spares and cure the extraction failures that I was getting.

However, Ithaca told me that my M37's DS barrel would be under-bored at .690" all the way down. I assume that this means that special chokes would have to be used. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Buying another gun and using the old one just for slug ain't an option because [a] finding Ithacas is difficult over here but, more importantly, [b] my current FAC (FireArms Certificate) only has "slots" for *two* unrestricted shotguns which are filled with the M37 and 1887.
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:20 pm
I would believe you could measure the bore and ask that the choke tube be bored to give what ever constriction you wanted. I have a 30" full choked barrel that I am considering having tubes installed to make it more useful. Right now it is an extra barrel that doesn't get used.
Rex

Return to Ithaca Model 37