Looking for information on my Model 37

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 am
I just bought a Model 37. The serial number is 58062 which according to Ithaca's website it is a 1942. It is chrome or nickel depending on which website I've found. There are a few hallmarks on the barrel: P, + symbol, a small circle with a wing or flame on it, R, L, B or a 3. Any info you all my have would be much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg (16.7 KiB) Viewed 7484 times
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0693.jpg (7.85 KiB) Viewed 7484 times

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:41 pm
Seems to be a former military trench or riot gun that was plmped out at one point. I see a small light spot under the but stock. A filler for where the rear sling swivel was? I guess the plating could have been done for a Legion or VFW post, but that's just a guess.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:50 pm
The marks are proof and acceptance stamps for the us military. The P is for Proof Tested, the + is the personal stamp for the person that prof tested the the barrel. According to a chart published in Walt Snyder's book the stamp belongs to Charles August. The flaming bomb is a US military stamp. This stamp is often faked on to older guns. Keep in mind that combat shot guns are rare and worth quite a bit. They are quite often faked. I do believe this gun may of however POSSIBLY served in the military due to a couple of clues.
-The time frame is correct.
-The short barrel providing that it was not cut off. We would need to see if and what the choke marking is on the barrel
-The proof symbol was often placed at the end of the barrel in the sections between barrel threads. I believe they moved the location during the war effort in order to speed up production.
-The ring tale fore end and the lack of checkering on the stock is something that was done to speed up war time production.
More clearer pictures would be needed in order to to confirm my suspicions. Keep in mind that the nickle plate was added some time later and will detract from the over all value. Thanks for sharing.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:21 pm
Thank you for the info. I'll get more pictures tonight. If it is a military gun do you have a ball park value on it? I paid $400.00 for it. I'm pretty sure I got a smoking deal on it.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:36 pm
If it is a military gun than yes you got a good deal. I do not know how good of a deal though. I would expect that an unaltered military shot gun would start at $1200 and go up from there.

Return to Ithaca Model 37