A 1953 16ga model 37

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:21 am
Well I found a 1953 model 37 16ga on gunbroker. I was specifically buying it for the magazine nut. It has a polychoke barrel on it and had a cruddy looking recoil pad (notice the had).

Well this turns out to be one of the proverbial blind pigs gets an ear of corn sometimes story.

Yes the stock was cut, no the barrel ser nbr doesn't match the receiver, but yes it has been professionally fitted.

The absolutely best part ? It will fit my wife perfectly. With the recoil pad off, the length of pull will be just perfect once I add a butt plate back on. The barrel length is the same as the youth model 1100 20 gauge I bought her. The weight is actually a couple ounces less than the 1100.

With the polychoke being able to be adjusted up to "extra-full" this is going to be her turkey gun. I will have to refinish the buttstock and get the barrel blued, BUT the receiver is pristine, the action is super tight. I might just get a bottle/tube of a good cold blue.

WHICH COLD BLUE DO YOU ALL RECOMMEND ?

I measured the action and I think I will be able to adapt a B-Square saddle mount to mount a scope. I WILL NOT drill and tap this old action. I will have to make a spacer for the top. I fiddled while Rome burned and let an old style (new old stock) B-Square Ithaca scope mount get away from me for 25.00 on eBay the other day. If you snooze you lose.

I was going to strip it down for parts. I bought a late model receiver. It is actually brand new ! I was going to swap the parts over so that I could build myself a gun with a late model barrel from Ithaca seeing as they wanted too much to customize a foreend for me. I just decided to build a gun and buy the barrel.

I am going to steal the magazine nut to put on my 1949 solid rib gun. It will be all the way back to what it should be then. Now I am going to have to look for another parts gun. There is one on gunbroker but the guy is smoking crack and wants 200.00 for an action with no barrel or buttstock. Sort of like the guy here in Ohio wanting 690.00 for a run of the mill 16ga gun. Crack went and damaged their brains I think.

If anyone has the entire set internals, foreend slide and mag tube that they want to part with for a reasonable amount let me know.

I will get pictures up in a little bit. If you can't tell from all my posts lately, I suffer from gunnerhea. I don't drink, smoke or chase women. Guns are my bad habit. Been that way since I was a child. I can work on them a little at a time and put them down until I get going again. I got hurt really bad and can't golf, throw a ball, go bowling, ski, do a lot of things that the rest of you can do, but I can still work on these old guns (within reason). These old shotguns and BPCR rifles give me a hobby that I can do.

I ONLY PAID $157.00 for this gun !!!! I had to stick it on a credit card but I just couldn't let this one get away. My wife has been really good with letting me restore that other one that I have been posting about. I learned a long time ago, that if I want to continue my addiction, get my wife involved in it. She wants to go turkey hunting with me, so this is the perfect opportunity to build her up a really nice shotgun that will be just hers ! Over the last few years she took care of me with the different surgeries and such, that I try and make/build/get things that are just hers. She is my shooting partner in BPCR, my spotter, my hunting partner.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 pm
Here is the gun next to my wife's youth model 20ga Remington 1100. As you can see, it is sized just perfect.

Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:27 pm
I like Brownell's 44/40.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:31 pm
Thank you. Any special tricks suggestions you would care to share ?

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:05 pm
I had 2 spare for ends, just sold them on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. I believe I have a couple of action slides I could part with though. Give me a ring if you are interested.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 pm
I still should have your number, are they the ones for the "corncob" foreend ?

dc
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:37 am
drcook wrote:Thank you. Any special tricks suggestions you would care to share ?

Sure. First of all, practice on something you don't care about. I know the Col used his knives. I used old ground down screwdrivers. In fact, I have a whole set of blued screwdrivers now. Once you get the feel of it, you'll know you are doing OK. Second. Make sure it is clean clean clean. degrease and de-oil thoroughly, finish with an alcohol wash. get the 91% stuff. And use gloves once it is clean. Next, pour some into a dish or other container. (don't want to contaminate your bottle). Then use either a cotton ball or Q-tip and dip only ONCE and discard. never redip. Use long even overlapping strokes and keep applying until the desires color has been reached. once that has happened, let dry and oil right away.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll be fine.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:30 am
how does the 44/40 hold up ? wear wise. I keep my guns oiled so I am not worried about them rusting, just looking nice.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:31 am
I like it the better over Oxpho blue I find you can really layer in the color to get a deep finish. It holds up pretty well on my screwdrivers and I haven't had any complaints about the finish rubbing off, although it still isn't as good as a salt blue job, it's good for small jobs.
--Jim

Return to Ithaca Model 37