Ithaca Model 37 Reviews

Moderator: ripjack13

Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:57 am
This is a thread dedicated to Ithaca Model 37 reviews...

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:07 pm
Have a 37R from 52 in 12 ga. with a 28" full choke barrel and a 37 16 ga. with a 28" plain mod. choked barrel. Both in great shape, 16 has been reblued, 16 gets the most use, it's my go to pump gun.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:08 pm
Never happened...no pics !! ;)

===============================

BTW...here's the instructions:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129

================================
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:50 pm
Ahh yes...the sweet 16...
Former Admin

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:07 pm
I have seven M37s and one SKB. Six of them are parkerized with no game scenes in 12 gauge and I have one regular Featherlight in 20 gauge with the blued receiver and roll stamped game scene, that's just a joy to carry afield.
I've always admired the M37, bought a Featherlight when I was 17 and foolishly sold it soon afterwards. In the last 8-10 years I've been making up for it though.
A co-worker recently showed be his collection of hunting arms. In the corner of his gun cabinet was a Remington Model 17 and IIRC, a five or six digit Pre- 855, 000 20 gauge M37. In modiified choke no less.
I told him immediately, if he ever sells it, I have first dibs on it.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:45 am
My introduction to the Featherlight was in the 50's. There was a chain of stores called, "Joe, The Motorist Friend" it shoulda been called, "Joe The Kid's friend!" They sold tires, batteries, oil, and automotive supplies, but they had an isle of great toys, and one entire side of the stores was guns, hunting, fishing, and archery stuff, (they also had the only Santa around at Christmas time). Yup, Joe truley was a boy's best friend!

Anyway, they always had a few Ithaca 37's on the rack, along with Model 12's and a few other shotguns of dubious background and parentage. The 37's always stood out as slim, trim, and ready to dance, whereas even the Model 12's seemed rather chunky and clumbsy to cradle in your arms.

My early hunting years saw something less that a '37, I carried around an old, "EXCEL" 16ga. single shot, (probably made by Iver and Johnson by the looks of it). It was deadly enough and I was proud to carry it around for my hunting trips into the fields and woodlands in my area until a neighbor kid got a '37 for his birthday gift, vent rib barrel, Raybar sight, and handsome walnut stocks!

It was some years and a trip half way around the world at Uncle Sam's expense before I got the Featherlight bug again, but I finally lay my hands on one I could call my own, a 1953 vintage Field grade Featherlight in 12ga. It served me well in my upland game hunting ventures, but I always craved one with a vent rib, even thought of sending the old gal to Upper Sandusky lately to have the work done and a new interchangeable barrel fitted, but then I came across a Featherlight Magnum '12 for sale with that vent rib barrel I've been craving locally and lay the cash in the owners hand!..The more I handle it, the more I like it, it seems to come up faster and more natural than even my old '53 Featherlight. I read they put a slightly straighter stock on the Magnum Model, maybe that's it. I don't need the 3" chamber, and may never buy a box of the longer shells, but I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship. She's also a very plainly dressed gal, function over glamor with her bead blasted finish, lack of the traditional game scenes and unadorned smooth walnut stocks, but I think I'm in love. ;)
Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:56 am
Great story krag! I wish we had had a place like that when I was growing up....
Former Admin

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:04 am
ripjack13 wrote:Great story krag! I wish we had had a place like that when I was growing up....

I wish they were still around myself! :D

Return to Ithaca Model 37