Why do people do this ?

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:26 am
Going to put this over on the Shotgunworld Ithaca site also.

Why do people feel the need to half-a** engrave their names on the side of a gun? And on top of it, compounding the issue, these folks think (keep in mind I said think) that they are
going to get top dollar for the same ?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/953188376/It ... A_5rd.htm#

I could understand a professional grade, to a degree, in fact if you buy a "Quigley" model Sharps rifle from the Shiloh Sharps Co you can have your initials engraved on the receiver in gold. but that is a rifle that starts at 3400.00 and is supposed to have initials on it.

This gun in the link above, the guy got out one of those vibrating engravers and had at it and signed his name on the side. Thus rendering it a candidate that is needing welded up, extensively polished or torn apart for the parts.

I know I wouldn't buy a gun like that for $435.00 .....................

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:45 pm
That is a shame, especially on a nice gun that looks good otherwise.
I remember the police used to tell people to mark their names or social security numbers on expensive items to prevent them from being stolen or at least make them easier to recover. Maybe good advice for a chainsaw or lawn mower, but a terrible thing to do to a gun. Just ruins the value.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:21 pm
I know of a 49 12g for $200
its in fine condition except for believe it or not the SSN that is etched into the receiver.
dumb and dumber
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:09 pm
Flues16 wrote:That is a shame, especially on a nice gun that looks good otherwise.
I remember the police used to tell people to mark their names or social security numbers on expensive items to prevent them from being stolen or at least make them easier to recover. Maybe good advice for a chainsaw or lawn mower, but a terrible thing to do to a gun. Just ruins the value.

Umm, isn't that what serial numbers are for?
--Jim

Return to Ithaca Model 37