Barrel Play

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:50 pm
I have a new M37 Trap. With the barrel seated and the magazine nut snugged up, the barrel can be moved/twisted/rotated slightly (1/16" or so). Is this normal? The only other Ithaca I own or have held is a Home Defense and its barrel is fixed...so I have nothing to compare.

Thanks.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 am
ANy play is not good, but I've honestly have to see what you are doing before I can comment. All takedown type barrels can be moved if you move them a certain way with enough torque.

It could mean the yoke need adjusting or any one of a number of things.

Try this. Remove the barrel and Loosen the yoke screw, but do not remove. Attach the barrel and tighten the magazine cap against the lug. Now tighten the yoke screw to FINGER TIGHT, No more. remove and re attach the barrel. See if that makes a difference.
--Jim

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 am
Jim, thanks for the reply. None of my dozen of so screw drivers fit the yoke screw slot very well and I don't want to bugger it up...so I'll need to get a proper driver to proceed.

With the slide back; left hand grasping around the mag. tube, fingers lightly pinching the 70/30 ramp...right hand on grip...if I twist the grip ever so lightly...the barrel turns in the receiver ever so lightly with a audible "clunk". Barrel moves 1/32" to 1/16"...approximately two of the grooved lines cut into the top of receiver/ramp.

I notice that when the barrel twists it will touch one side of the yoke or the other...leaving a gap of .008" on the opposite side. Almost looks like the yoke may be too far forward. If it were more aft, it would be on a wider part of the barrel and prevent the twisting. Plausible?

***Update***

Found my gunsmith screw drivers and toyed with the above adj. Not sure why or how, but on my 5 or six attempted at fiddling with the yoke...the barrel is now rock solid. I appreciate the advice Jim...I owe you a beverage of choice if we ever meet up.

Appreciatively,

Bill G.
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:19 am
Glad it worked out. 99% of your barrel issues can be solved by adjusting the yoke. I'm glad to help and no thanks are necessary, but I won't refuse an ice cold malted adult beverage. :)
--Jim

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:16 am
I'm gonna bump this to the top because it was a question I asked recently and I may need to refer back to this at some point. Thanks for the advice Raven!!

Return to Ithaca Model 37