37 barrel/mag tube clamp

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:27 pm
Hi folks!

Some time back a friend gave me a 1952 Ithaca Featherlite 12 ga, now that's a real friend! It's in good condition overall, 2 small wear marks at upper left front of receiver, light scratch on right side through game scene. Wood's pretty good but a refinish wouldn't hurt, no checkering. I modified a Decelerator recoil pad to fit. The barrel was crudely cut with a hacksaw to 18 3/4", I trued it up square to 18 1/2". I removed the 4+1 mag tube and installed a 7+1 tube after desoldering barrel lug for magazine nut.

Due to the interrupted thread removable barrel and original mag tube support design it now needs a barrel/magazine tube clamp to hold things tightly in place. Internet sources don't list any for 37's because of original design and none of them give accurate dimensions for spacing between cut outs or reliefs, to figure out what other model's clamp might fit. One mfgr. claims, "Fits all shotguns..." Un-huh.

The Kevin Dockery pic of 2 Navy SEAL 37's, one with magazine extension and duckbill spreader, shows a barrel/magazine clamp right behind duckbill. Another pic and description from the Dept. of Defense also shows a 37 Navy SEAL Combat with mag extension and a barrel/mag clamp right behind duckbill. Can anybody here suggest a barrel/magazine clamp that correctly fits an Ithaca 37 12ga?

One other little problem is the slide release at front of trigger guard. On all the ones I've seen pictured this part protrudes forward of trigger guard maybe 1/8" or so. On mine it's flush or slightly behind trigger guard loop, too hard to access. And ideas on how to fix that? I've done some gunsmithing and have strong mechanical skills but no expert or pro by any means.

Absolutely love this sweet little Ithaca gun! Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

Ithacan

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:36 pm
There is a guy over at AR15.com, that has done a duckbill/Navy SEAL 37 just as you are describing. He did not use a off the shelf clamp - he had one machined to match the photos. Here is the link to his archived thread: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 3&t=582541

I've been in contact with him and got the dimensions of both his choke and the clamp. His choke doesn't choke the shot down quite like the originals. He took measurements from the SEAL Museum example and that choke is "full" his dimensions are more modified-to-improved. I've had a choke machined from S-7 Tool Steel and it is currently being heat treated. When I get the choke back I'll post a photo.

There are several other folks out the that have done a replication using (I think) a Nordic Components clamp meant for the Remington 870/1100 extension.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:09 am
Westmalle8 wrote:There is a guy over at AR15.com, that has done a duckbill/Navy SEAL 37 just as you are describing. He did not use a off the shelf clamp - he had one machined to match the photos. Here is the link to his archived thread: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 3&t=582541

I've been in contact with him and got the dimensions of both his choke and the clamp. His choke doesn't choke the shot down quite like the originals. He took measurements from the SEAL Museum example and that choke is "full" his dimensions are more modified-to-improved. I've had a choke machined from S-7 Tool Steel and it is currently being heat treated. When I get the choke back I'll post a photo.

There are several other folks out the that have done a replication using (I think) a Nordic Components clamp meant for the Remington 870/1100 extension.

Thanks very much for the tips there, Westmalle8! I'll check out the linked info, thanks!

I got a mag tube-barrel clamp machined up by a friend and it worked out real well. The gun is up and running again.

One issue with the Ithaca design is that the original spacer between mag tube and barrel that's silver soldered in place also has a locator pin, that fits into a hole in the bottom of barrel. So when that factory spacer is removed and a longer mag tube added, but using original barrel, that hole is still there and would cause a serious gas leak when firing. Location of the new mag tube-barrel clamp can be used to close off that gas port hole while also acting as the needed spacer.

I didn't post any measurements or full details due to potential liability, something that a person has to make their own decision about.

Thanks again!

Return to Ithaca Model 37