Last and Final Project

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:30 pm
Well I have the final and final project going in the DRC - 16ga saga. As I mentioned back when I appeared on this and the Shotgunworld forum, I really wanted one of the new Ohio guns but that they just didn't fit me. Always in the back of my mind, I knew one way or another I would acquire my goal.

MK and I always over allocate our taxes so we can take care of business and have some fun money for our individual projects. In the prior years, my money went towards fixing our diesel that we use to pull our travel trailer. This year mine could go for something else.

I found a 1966 model 37 16ga that I bought. I also bought a brand new, yes ! brand new, 16ga receiver from Numrich. They still have 47 of them left. They also have one that is parkerized with no engraving. (which, with the parkerizing removed and a high polish put on it, would look pretty sweet).

The 1966 is in good shape, but the 1970 is in better, so I am going to swap all the internals, mag tube, foreend, stock etc onto the 1970 receiver. The barrel is a field barrel, 28" fixed full choke. I might keep it, might sell it.

I have a load of scrap metal waiting to go the recycler on Earth Day, they give you more than usual on Earth Day. I have enough scrap to buy one of the new Ohio vent rib barrels with choke tubes.

So I will have procured and built myself a platform that fits me (has the corncob foreend also) and has a new barrel.

AND I am going to put one of the old RayBar sights that I got from Walt on the gun to complete the entire project and bring it together.

I will post pics when the gun gets here and as I put it through the stages of finalization.

Then I will have an extra receiver and I was given a 20" barrel. Yes given. There was a barrel bought and cut off, before it was tried and the receiver and the heart wrenching discovery that 225.00 just sailed out the window due to the fact the receiver was pre-855,000.

Eventually, I will either have it threaded for choke tubes, or have a poly-choke put on it and build another youth/lady sized gun when I find another donor receiver.

I also know where there is a 24" vent rib barrel that is threaded for choke tubes. I have a thought about another gun for my wife in the future but it is only a thought at this point, no firm decisions.

I might even sell the extra receiver / 20" barrel to someone who wants to build a gun from parts for their spouse/child/grandchild.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:15 pm
Today I sold the 28" full choke field barrel that came with the gun.

I put a deposit on a 26" and a 24" vent rib barrel that takes screw in chokes. The barrels are King Ferry barrels and are threaded for Colonial choke tubes. One barrel has a modified choke in it, the other a full.

I have a full set of flush fitting Colonial tubes and a full set of extended, steel rated tubes, so I am good to go.

I was thinking about swapping the receivers, but since I got the gun home, I found that there was no wear / carry marks on the receiver, Just on the butt stock and the typical magazine tube marks. I am going to cover them up with Ox-pho until next year and get the mag tube only reblued (maybe).

The other receiver I have and the 24" barrel are going to become a gun for my wife next year or so, as soon as I find a donor gun. I can buy a gun cheaper and take the parts, than I can simply buying the parts.

Woo Hoo. I am at the end of the road now, as far as I am concerned. No more gun buying for myself. Next year when I find the donor gun, I will cut down the factory stock to youth/lady size and get a blank from Macon to fit to this gun.

I will have it put together and with me for the June 26th get together.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:35 am
Here is almost the final result of the extra receiver mentioned above.

I am mocking it up, I have to file the slot for the yoke tube, once I lay it out with my vernier height gage and scribe the lines. The buttstock needs finished (as you can see) and I need to adjust the outside diameter on the front foreend nut to blend in with the wood better. Does it hurt anything ? No, but it is not perfect. I have once that has some dings on it that I can file back into shape and adjust so that I am not ruining a pristine one.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with how this is turning out.

The specs are" 24" VR barrel that uses Colonial choke tubes, it is a King Ferry barrel and a Youth/Lady sized LOP on the buttstock. This stock came off one of the other guns that I bought and someone in the past had cut it for a recoil pad (not that 16's recoil all that hard, at least in my opinion). It is exactly the right length of pull with no more adjusting.

The majority of the other parts are either new, old stock, or parts I acquired from eBay, and a couple (mag tube) from Ithaca itself.

Sorry the pictures aren't any better. My wife is better with her camera than I am.

Return to Ithaca Model 37