My first model 37

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:31 pm
I have had a long love affair with Ithaca guns. As i've mentioned before, the first gun I owned was a model 72 Ithaca saddle gun (.22lr), and the first shotgun I ever fired was a model 37. But I have never owned a 37 until now.

I got a call from my dad one day and he told me he had bought me an early birthday gift, but that I would have to go by the local gun shop and pick it up. When I got there, I looked at the rack and immediately spied the gun (it was the only Ithaca on the rack).

It's a 1948 model 37 12 gauge with a 28" barrel.

(click on the images for larger versions)

As you can see, this one has been well used. The action is still tight, but also sticky like it is gummed up. Today I started tearing it down, and the inside is not unlike what I have seen in some of the other restoration threads here. In other words, a lot of sticky crud.

I have had it in mind to do a full restoration. My friends thinks it looks great the way it is. It is tempting for me to buy a few new screws and bits (as you can see, some of the screw heads are not pristine) from Ithaca, and have a go at a restoration.

Whatever I decide, nothing is happening before I get out and bust some clays with it. I am hoping it shoots as good as the other Ithaca I've had experience with. The model 37 I have shot a bit almost seems like it has radar - it is almost impossible to miss with that thing!

On a different note, while I was disassembling the old girl for a good cleaning, I couldn't help but be amazed at the elegant design of the whole thing. I have read about how the 37 is (was?) pretty well the simplest design, with the least parts, but I didn't really have an appreciation for it until today. Especially the "magic" of the loading and unloading the chamber. John Browning was a genius, in my estimation.

Another cool bit was when I removed the butt plate, a former owner's name and address was engraved on the inside.

Of course my wife asked me if I was satisfied now that I have my model 37. I didn't have the courage to tell her that it has just got me started. My next new gun purchase I intend to be an Ohio built M37. But I can see a few more old ones coming my way too, if I can find any.
Canadian Reload Radio - Canada's Premier Pro-Gun Podcast
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:57 pm
that's some nice wood on an old gun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:10 pm
Kind of what I thought too. I think it would look better if could get it clean of the oil, and whatever finish they put on it. Not sure of how to do that though.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:32 am
When the time comes that you want to start on the wood, then Citris Strip will pull the old finish off without stinking up the house and is gentle on the wood. Then a soak in acetone will leach the oil out. (outside the house of course with the acetone)

The worst area will be inside the inletting, it will probably be black from the oil.

I have even took kitty litter and mashed it up with a hammer to a powder and mixed it in with the Citris Strip and packed the end full and let it dry. That helped suck some of the oil out also. I now realize a paste made of kitty litter dust and acetone would have worked a little better (maybe) but that needs to stay outside of the house (in garage, shed, barn) due to the odor and flammability of acetone and the fumes in particular.

A friend of mine has said on some old guns he has restored, he got a turkey basting bag and soaked the entire stock in acetone for a few days, but there is no need for that when only the end has issues.

Sometimes the foreend wood will be rusted/crud stuck to the slider tube. You will need to soak it in some acetone (for example) to get in between the wood and metal to get it loose.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:25 am
Thanks for this ^^ - It is just the kind of advice I was hoping someone would offer.

Return to Ithaca Model 37