Cheek Slap

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:21 pm
My 37 slaps me under the cheek bone after I shoot a few rocks. I start with the gun down, step on the Trius one step and then bring the gun up. It is a standard 14" LOP. Today I shimmed out the top of the butt plate about 3/32 to get a 90deg. pitch. wouldn't think that was enough to change anything. Also shot with a heavy coat today as it is cold, that gave extra length. Cheek slap was better.
Now I'm short and fat and the gun I shoot the best with the least punishment is an old '97 Winchester black diamond trap. It has a 13 1/2" stock. Any suggestions on what to try with the 37 stock?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:29 am
I am by no means an expert stock fitter. I had the same problem with my son and his o/u. A more experienced shooter on the skeet field noticed him one day having the same problem. He noted that since he was 'thick' in the chest he was getting slapped in the cheek, he suggested that I do as you are doing with the spacers. I did and then went to the gunsmith and had him cut the stock to fit him. This took care of the problem. Seems like I went up to about 1/4" or a little more with the spacers befor I corrected the problem Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:35 pm
Thanks GMJ, I've run into a little slow up. The local fellow that does a nice job with stocks, recoil pads, etc. had a stroke about a month ago. I'll wait and see if Harold wants to do any work when he is better.

Return to Ithaca Model 37