Old Ithaca 37

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:38 pm
Hi,

First post and I wonder if you can help me please?

I own an old Ithaca 37 which I believe is a US military issue as it has the sling swivels.

The dealer I bought it from 15 or so years ago had the opportunity to clear out an old storage facility near Saigon and brought back a few examples of various US military shotguns.

I have been interested in the Vietnam War for many years which is why I bought the gun.

Just today I was surfing the internet and found mention, again, of the Ithaca 37 being used by the US Navy Seals. There was also a note of the military 37's being in the 9XX,XXX serial number range. I then did some more surfing and found some descriptions and videos of how to strip the gun.

Intrigued I got mine out to find that the serial number is in the 66000 range which if I have read it correctly means it was manufactured in 1943 making it a lot older than I thought it was.

Further intrigued, I then went to remove the barrel and there were two discrepancies between mine and those on the youtube videos.

Mine does not have an interupted thread but a proper complete screw thread.

And, the lug into which the pin screws when you turn the knurled ring does not have a cut out but is solid on both sides. This lug also has the forward sling swivel.

Can anyone confirm that this is all good for an Ithica of this age?

I use the gun for Practical Shotgun shooting and get lots of strange looks and laughter whenever it comes out. Now I find it may be 70 years old.

It still handles well, slamfires no problem but kicks like a mule as my shoulder can acknowledge.

For further information it has an orange-ish rubberised butt plate with Ithaca on the base.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sandy
Last edited by SandyM on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:45 pm
First off welcome to the Ithacaowners group. Just a note Ithaca is spelled with the "a" not "Ithica" as it may sound. In places like Ebay spelling is important if you wish to get more people to see your add.
Your serial number should put it at 1943. Ithaca was not allowed to make shotguns for the general public, so they made Military weapons 37s and 1911a1 semi auto pistols (Colt design). That would mean your 37 should be a military issue. Maybe some of these guns did make it to the Vietnam War as did the 1911. I do know that the Ithaca 19911 was used in The Vietnam War and they were only made for WWII. All 37s before serial number 855,000 (1963) were made specifically for that reciever and were not to be interchanged, so the threads would be different. Hopefully someone else could give you more information on your 37, and will speak-up. Donald.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:57 pm
Thanks for the reply and pulling me up on the spelling.

Complete brain fade on my part.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:33 pm
as Donald says 43 puts it square in the wars years.
during this time all guns were made for the military or by special permission .
permission guns were usually special
if its a military gun it should have armory proof marks on both the receiver side and barrel

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:40 pm
I could tell you more with some pictures.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:17 am
Interesting thread. Have fun with your Ithaca. Irritating how there are laughing gun snobs.

-Tapatalk2 on Android

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:55 am
Here you go:-

As I have an interest in the Vietnam War (one of the reasons I bought it) I do re-enactment with the 37 as well as using it for Practical Shotgun:-

The slamfire always goes down well with the crowds, especially if I am on one of the gun trucks as it out LOUD BANGS the .50cals. You have to love those old yachting blanks.

I hope this helps idenitfy it.

Sandy

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:28 am
Boy great pictures! What an interesting gun. Three sets of numbers. The older guns all had their serial numbers stamped on the end of the reciever between the barrel and mag. That number is 13072 which would put it 1939. OK built for WWII. In later years Ithaca stamped the serial numbers on the side of the reciever and there is 66843. That would put it 1943. I really doubt that Ithaca or the US Military would stamp different serial numbers on the same gun. Since the Vietnam War was in the later years when the serial numbers were on the side, maybe they reissued it and gave it a new serial number that we don't have in our Ithaca data base. It is definately a Military gun as it does not have the refined casting and no engraving as they were built for performance and not show. The S18423 number,I don't know. That place is usually the same as the reciever number as the barrels are not interchangable. Great find, great gun and you are still using it for a somewhat Military use (even though it is not acually hitting people.) Have fun, it looks as though you are. Donald.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:00 am
the only marking I didn't see was the flaming bomb.

that said theres alota numbers and a few don't make sense

the markings that make sense
S 18XXX on barrel and receiver put it as a military Vietnam gun
the "P" proofmark on barrel and receiver
the "US" on rt side
a threaded barrel the wood ,hardware etc

these all say military vietam era gun

what I don't understand is the 66843
a SN of that age would not be there,so its not a sn#
I guess it could be a cataloging #

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:32 pm
great photos interesting gun..you give details about that gun ;)

aldwin

Return to Ithaca Model 37