DRC's newest restoration project

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:25 pm
The ones of you all that are members over on Shotgunworld have seen these, for the ones of you that aren't here are some pics of the what I am doing lately.

I have a 1952 16ga 28" FULL with a Simmons rib on it. I am going to strip the blue via chemicals and do little if no abrasive work on the metal. It is pretty good as it is, but showing some age. I don't want to disturb the metal in anyway, just get a fresh blueing job on it. I will respring it where needed.

I am going to approach Ithaca and find out how much they will simply dip it for me so that the finish can be documented as "factory" otherwise, as long as I completely prep the gun, and nothing other than running through the cleaning tank, I can get it done locally for $40.00. That is strictly clean and blue.

I found the below buttstock on a gun in Florida, which the folks were gracious enough to put on layaway for me, as I have spent my gun allowance for the most part. But my wife agreed the wood was so good, we could do it. This wood is going to go on the 1952.

The donor gun is a 1951 that is in great shape. Someone put a poly choke on it, so it is not completely stock, or I would have left it alone. I have a friend that has a mid-50's stock that I will acquire soon and fit to this gun and put it back to being a hunter.

The good folks at polychoke are restoring a ventilated polychoke front piece for me that they had in a box. I think they look a little better that way than just a blob on the end of the barrel. It will match the polychoke on the barrel of the one I set up for my wife, which is in a pic below.

The last 4 pictures are of the 1952 before I stole the buttstock off it. It had been cut for a recoil pad and was getting a bit in need of a refinish. I stripped the finish off, recut the checkering, and redid it with hand rubbed lacquer and put it on the other gun I built for my wife

The magazine nut on the 51 might be better than my 1952. Once I get it done, it will look and feel like I took a trip in my DeLorean and just walked out of the door with it. NewInBox. down at the gunshop that used to be on Market Street in Akron, Ohio down by Mogadore Rd way back in the day. At least I think that place was open then, I can remember it being there in the early 60's.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:26 pm
Some fine guns you got there! Keep us updated. I really like the '40's and early '50's M-37's!

Return to Ithaca Model 37