Model 37 Barrel Crack?

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:45 pm
but I don't know if they fit older ones to older guns. I'll have to call I guess. Thanks drcook.

No they don't.

However Les Hovencamp does and Gerald Kuthy does. You would get a good job from either.

Gerald is a local gunsmith that I just found and is known to Ron Sharp and others in the Ithaca trade. A friend has used him before and he has good recommendations and I am buying a 16ga barrel (post 855,000) from him myself

Gerald R Kuthy
Custom Blue LLC
740 498 8790

Les Hovencamp. Les was the head smith at Ithaca in New York

http://www.diamondgunsmithing.com/ <<<=== Les contact info

Too bad you missed the tour of the Ithaca plant this summer. It was pretty cool. I live 90 miles from them here in Ohio.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 pm
Thanks drcook, I'll give Gerald a try considering if he's near you, then he's in Ohio, and the last thing I want is a massive shipping charge sending this thing to New York. I have heard great things about Les however. I'll do some barrel shopping and see how I come out then, But getting the stock repaired is my priority for the moment, but I can do that on my own with a little help from my father, so I'll see how things go.
I would have loved to hit that tour. That would have been a time. I could have hit the Cabelas in Dundee and CMP at Camp Perry on my way down too.
Also, being that you own a 16ga, do you know if Ithaca ever made a 16ga deerslayer? I've got a buddy who has gone a little off the rocker on 16ga and would like to know. I told him it's possible, but 16ga m37's are rare as it is, and a deer slayer considering that I've never heard of it is probably quite rare. Has he got a shot in the dark?

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 pm
Chaos, I believe your theory may in fact be correct. I just took a glance at my brothers m37, and his has a multitude of similar scratches, on the opposite side of the barrel. His shotgun has been carried all over the backside of beyond in the service of our great grandfather, who I'm not sure, but could have been a lefty. I never noticed his before because all of his marks had been blued over when my father had gran dads shotgun re-worked. I wonder if there is a difference between markings like this corn-cob style forends ends and the beaver tails you see on later sporting models? My hand guard is also quite loose as well. I guess vintage shotguns work in mysterious ways. I arrived to shotguns later as well. I grew up shooting .22's at pop cans out by my deer blind. Until this past year the only shotgun experience I had was with slug guns. I plan to get off that band wagon and jump on another.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:14 pm
Here you go,

just what the dr. ordered :roll: :roll: :lol:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =366067709

a 16ga Deerslayer with a rifled barrel and a vent rib barrel.

yes they did. smoothbores being more common

I've got a buddy who has gone a little off the rocker on 16ga and would like to know. I told him it's possible, but 16ga m37's are rare as it is,

they are ? in the 2nd picture is the one with the poly-choke in the 1st after going through partial restoration, in the 1st picture is a bare receiver, in the 2nd after I built the gun for my wife out of that receiver

I have a friend who is going to sell his 1948 Ithaca 37 16ga. The wood has been professionally restored by a former Ithaca employee (not Les) and the metal is in great shape. I will have pictures soon. If he is interested PM me his phone nbr. Even if he is not interested get his phone nbr. He probably would like to chat a bit. As you can see, I kind of like the 16ga myself. My 12's are getting lonely staying at home.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:00 pm
DAMN! If I had the funding I'd buy it. That's in primo shape. He's gonna flip when I show him that. Thanks drcook. You just made my buddies day. I think I know where his next paycheck is going.
All my experience with m37's has been from the 40's and 50's. Are the newer ones from the 60's, 70's, 80's and so on as high quality as the old ones? The reason I ask is that since this 16ga must be newer production with a rifled barrel. I'm wondering if mine could be comparable in quality to this one, in the case my buddy wants to "try before you buy".
I don't see a lot of 16ga in my area. That's why I've never dealt with a lot of them Just about everything I see is 12 or 20, with the exception of the 28 every once in a while at the local gun club. He got his from another friend of ours for 40 bucks because he never used it (It's an H&R single shot NRA commemorative, don't get worked up). Couldn't turn it down. Know hes got the fever and wants a pump.
And you have quite the collection. I'm envious. Who did that stock for you? Mine has a crack in it and requires attention, and I doubt I will get to it anytime soon.
After seeing your impressive collection, I think I might just buy another m37 rather than a spare barrel. after the 250+ I might spend on the barrel, I'd rather shell out another $150 and get the whole gun.
I'll get ahold of my buddy for you. He's quite tricky to get ahold of on account of he never leaves his cell phone on. I'll see if he has the funding, and point him in you direction either way. Also, whats that buddy of yours want for that 1948?
By the way, I love all the corncob fore ends. Makes me think of my great granddads old 20ga.

Return to Ithaca Model 37