Barrel doesn't fit easily (1970 vintage gun)

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:41 pm
Hi all,

Have run into a bit of a SNAFU with a project M37. The gun is pictured below is a 1970 vintage M37 riot or police shotgun (whatever you like to call it). It was a good deal off gunbroker some time ago, but has lived a hard life to be sure. Of its many scars is a severely pitted barrel. I've fired the gun and have not had an issue, but thoughts of how bad the pitting is have kept me awake at night a time or two so I figured on replacing the barrel. I happened upon a small lot of parts a while back and in the lot was a nice pristine parkerized 20-inch CYL bore barrel. Shazam! I'm back in business. Not so. The new barrel, while having the exact markings as the pitted barrel that came on the gun does not easily install. It will drop into the receiver, but when it comes time for the 90 degree twist to line it up feels like the threads are not "correct" almost like its starting to be cross threaded. Also, the magazine cap does not like to engage the "new" barrel.

Whats going on here? The barrel says its an Ithaca, NY barrel, not a Kings Ferry barrel. Why won't it install like every other M37 I've ever touched? Is there an easy fix? Does the gun and barrel need to go back to Ithaca in Ohio and is there something they can do?

Any help, advice, insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The culprit!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:24 am
I would try adjusting the barrel yoke on the mag tube. Loosen the screw some and try to install the new barrel. During the installation process the yoke should find its own center. Re tighten the screw with the barrel on.

Return to Ithaca Model 37