choke tubes for a 37

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:52 pm
I have a model 37 12ga shoots 2 3/4 and 3's, has a choke tube modified and was wondering where to get a full and a wrench and did not see any listed in the parts . thanks
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:14 pm
Does the choke tube say anything on it ? Can you post a picture laying up next to a ruler, right on an inch boundary ? I have a hunch that it is just like my 5 that take tubes and you could get them from Colonial, however I would like to see a picture so that I don't even begin to tell you wrong.

Also give us the serial nbr, such as 31124567xx we don't need the last 2 digits, just put an xx there. That way we can tell the year it was made and that will help also.

By the way, a quarter works just fine.............If it is tight gently, I repeat gently, try to turn it with a pair of pliers.

DO NOT FORCE IT with pliers, just give yourself a little help.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:57 am
The gun is serial #MAG-3718851xx, the choke tube only has I.C. printed on it. I assume this stood for Improved Cylinder as there is no other markings on it. The quarter worked well to remove the tube which is 1 5/8" in length with fine threads being on the bottom 7/8". If I can find out where to get tubes I would like to get a full one also. Can I also shoot rifled deer slugs through the gun with no adverse result.

Thank you for your answers.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:27 am
I would say your gun was made in 1986 and the closest one I have to yours was made in 1988.

I am going to be a tad hesitant about giving you a definitive answer because your measurements don't coincide with mine.

Does any of the tube protrude beyond the end of the muzzle ?

All six of my 12ga choke tubes are 1 1/2 in long. 1.480 +-.002 to be exact as measured with a dial caliper this morning. (this is just under 1/2 in)

At the bottom is a length that has the threads turned off that is 7/32 in long. (approximately)

The threaded area is right around 5/8 in and the unthreaded area is 5/8 in ( both approximately) (unless you have dial calipers, there is no reason to give the exact, I am trying to give you close enough to measure with a home ruler, yard stick, tape measure)

1 5/8" in length with fine threads being on the bottom 7/8"

As you can see, there is a difference here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:33 am
There is a difference here but if they are just a shy bit (within a 1/16") shorter they should still function appropriately right? In answer to your questions. There is none of the tube protuding from he end of the barrel. The measurement are within a 1/16" and are as follows total length is 1 and 9/16", unthreaded area at bottom ( threads turned off ) 3/16", threaded area is 11/16" and top end is 11/16". I really appreciate all your help wit this. Thank You.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:52 pm
I really need to see exact measurements, as even a 1/16 can cause an issue. As I asked, can you take a picture of the choke tube up against an inch boundary on a tape measure, it doesn't matter which inch boundary, as long as it is not the end.

What we are trying to do is determine if these are factory or aftermarket tubes that was put in by a gunsmith.

Do you have a Gander Mt near you ? They have tubes on display there. If you go in, make sure you show them that you have your tube, or even better yet, take the barrel and tube, show them so there is a record and go back to the firearm desk and ask for help.

If they have one, the little bit more you pay at Gander Mt, would more than be offset by paying shipping charges back and forth.

My 2 12ga guns and my 4 choke tubed 16's use choke tubes that would come from Colonial Arms. My barrels were made at Ithaca NY and at King Ferry. Most of them at King Ferry.

http://www.colonialarms.com/

the trick is matching them up. alternatively you could send the choke tube to Colonial to have them match it for you.

you might even go to a gunshop, as they tend to have lots of them laying around, or possibly even a local gunsmith, they accumulate parts also.

Return to Ithaca Model 37