I had a stray follow me home...

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:35 am
Yup, I was out at one of 'those' shows... :lol:

I have been on the prowl for another Deerslayer for a while, either a 12 gauge or a Super Single 66 20 ga with rifled sights. These things are pretty uncommon down here in the Southern states as I have seen two in the past four years or so. I am skiddish of buying one at an auction site as I would have to add $50 to have it shipped here with FFL transfer fee. Plus what if something is hidden or did not appear in the pictures. I am in no hurry, so I figure I may as well just wait it out.

The second to last table had an M37 sitting there among some other relics, I figured 'great another 12 gauge, 30" barreled, full choke'. BUT This one had a modified choke and a 28" barrel! :mrgreen: It is from '73 and has deluxe wood. Now he will feel right at home with all of his brothers.

You chaps may wonder, did it come home with me? That is big yes! :D The price was just too good to say no to considering the condition of the wood and the bluing was easily 80-90%. Bore was crazy clean, just the usual scuffs on the barrel from cycling the action. I will have to snap some pictures for everyone.

I am still angry at myself for passing on a 16 ga with an Improved Cylinder a few years back for $225. Bluing was pretty thin and wood was decent, but for a sub-gauge the price was a bargain. Last sub-gauge I have seen since then was a 20 and over $400.
Insert comical quip here.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:11 pm
Does the Ithaca Model 37 you picked up at the show have a vent rib barrel with the middle bead and Raybar front sight?

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:21 pm
There are several wonderful things about the Ithaca Model 37. One of them is they haven't caught fire like the Winchester Model 12s. I enjoy comparing the two guns, and I own several of each. I believe that the Ithaca is the better of the two, but yes, I do love my Winchesters...a few 12s, a 16 and a 20. When you pick up each and compare the two the Ithaca is much lighter, I believe faster, and I like the balance better. Also if you have ever taken a model 12 down they can be a witch to get back together. If you don't know the tricks you will be at it for days....trust me.

I have never paid $400 for an Ithaca 37. My most expensive was a 16 with a mod choke and the gun is absolutely NEW, but it's old. Pre-War. If I had to go to only one gun, that would be it.

While the fast action, bottom eject of the 37 is great, it's weight is where it really shines! Without the rib and with the original butt plate the 12 weights 6.5 lbs, the 16 comes in at 6 and the 20 a quarter pound less. IMHO there is no better upland hunting gun in the World.....And I shoot a lot of shotguns.

Return to Ithaca Model 37