Pawn Shop 37

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:32 am
I just did this.

I almost never buy a new shotgun. I like the workmanship in the older guns. I walked into our local pawn shop and spied a model 37 in the rack. I wanted a 20, but it was a 12. 25.5" tube and a Polychoke. Okay, you hate Polychokes, right? I like'em. I was raised shooting my grandfather's Rem model 11 with a P-choke.

The gun in the pawn shop had an after market butt pad. No rising sun. It looked unfired. No rust, no blemishes, perfect bore only minor scratches on the wood. S# dated the gun to 1946. Cost, after some dickering came to $220.

I am thrilled. I think it will be an okay skeet gun and a great Sporting Clays killer. Now I want one of those new model 37 Trap guns.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:27 am
If I was American, I reckon I'd spend most of my time fossicking in pawnshops for old shotguns. :)

Good find.

Oh, and welcome to the forum...

Regards,

Mark.
Last edited by ChAoS on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:51 am
That would be someone's prized grouse or other close cover. small game gun. It will be perfect for bunnies in the bushes and birds in the brush.

What is the length of pull just to the wood (minus the recoil pad) ?

I know where there are some new old stock red sunburst pads

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:58 pm
Hi:

The LOP from trigger to the end of the wood on the butt is 13-3/4". To the end of the existing butt pad is 14.5" which is just a bit long for me, but not bad. I'm wondering if I should redo the wood, which is dark walnut with very minor scratches. It is pretty dull, but original, and I like original stuff. The pad would look much better with the rising sun pad, but the existing has an old sheen that makes it look old.

I think some WWII vet bought it and then discovered that he wasn't comfortable around hunting anymore. I knew some guys like that after VN. Course I'm just guessing, over reactive imagination, here.

No "Ithaca" on the black plastic wrist butt. It looks as unfired as any old gun you will find. $220! and an almost brand new older 37....like how cool is that! (Yes, I'm a child of the 60s!)

I could take a pic of it, but it looks like any other model 37. The roll stamp on the sides is perfect. The leaves on the left and right sides of the pattern are deep and clear.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:07 pm
ChAoS wrote:If I was American, I reckon I'd spend most of my time fossicking in pawnshops for old shotguns. :)

Good find.

Regards,

Mark.

Concerning pawn shop gun hunting. You've got to be careful. Usually the people who operate those shops know little or nothing about their stock. You can buy a pretty poor gun. I bought a cheap Browning Auto 5 not long ago. The barrel was bent, and someone had been shooting steel through the Polychoke. That barrel is junk. Just try to find a good used barrel for an Auto 5! Like $400!

However, I also bought nearly new Lefever I grade for $600 in that same shop about ten years ago.

Here is the Lefever:

Isn't she a pretty thing!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum !!

Nice score...!!

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:12 pm
ChAoS wrote:If I was American, I reckon I'd spend most of my time fossicking in pawnshops for old shotguns. :)

Good find.

Regards,

Mark.

Don't you guys have pawn shops? How difficult is it for Brits to own shotguns? We hear horror stories on our side of the pond.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:33 am
stepmac wrote:Don't you guys have pawn shops?

Yeah, but they don't sell guns. You have to be an RFD (Registered Firearms Dealer) to do that.

How difficult is it for Brits to own shotguns?

It's relatively easy to get an SGC (ShotGun Certificate) which'll allow you to own "Section.2" shotguns. These must have non-removeable magazines which hold no more than two cartridges, thus making S.2 guns hold a maximum of three rounds. The police must justify *not* allowing you to gain an SGC (criminal record, mental health issues, etc) so, by default, pretty much *everyone* can have one. Guns must have a barrel at least 24" long and the OAL of a guns must be (IIRC) 40" or more.

On the other hand, to get an FAC (FireArms Certificate), you must have "Good Reason" to own each and every gun listed on it. Rifles come under Section.1 as do unrestricted shotguns. On mine, I have two shotgun "slots" and so I can have just two unrestricted shotguns. They *can* have removeable mags (so Saiga 12s, etc, are OK) and tube-fed guns do *not* have to be crimped like S.2 guns.

The length limits still apply *except* to double-barrel, bolt- and lever-action S.1 shotguns. In this case, the length limits are 12" (I *think*) for the barrel and 24" OAL.

We hear horror stories on our side of the pond.

Well, I wouldn't be able to own, say, an SRM1216 since, even if it was S.1, it'd too short and, thus, illegal in the UK. Mossberg 590s have to have "squirrel cages" or muzzle extensions of some sort since their 20" barrels are too short otherwise.

One can, though, still have fun:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NHEl2unHnKQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5svemcFLc

Regards,

Mark.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm
ChAoS wrote:
stepmac wrote:Don't you guys have pawn shops?

Yeah, but they don't sell guns. You have to be an RFD (Registered Firearms Dealer) to do that.

How difficult is it for Brits to own shotguns?

It's relatively easy to get an SGC (ShotGun Certificate) which'll allow you to own "Section.2" shotguns. These must have non-removeable magazines which hold no more than two cartridges, thus making S.2 guns hold a maximum of three rounds. The police must justify *not* allowing you to gain an SGC (criminal record, mental health issues, etc) so, by default, pretty much *everyone* can have one. Guns must have a barrel at least 24" long and the OAL of a guns must be (IIRC) 40" or more.

On the other hand, to get an FAC (FireArms Certificate), you must have "Good Reason" to own each and every gun listed on it. Rifles come under Section.1 as do unrestricted shotguns. On mine, I have two shotgun "slots" and so I can have just two unrestricted shotguns. They *can* have removeable mags (so Saiga 12s, etc, are OK) and tube-fed guns do *not* have to be crimped like S.2 guns.

The length limits still apply *except* to double-barrel, bolt- and lever-action S.1 shotguns. In this case, the length limits are 12" (I *think*) for the barrel and 24" OAL.

We hear horror stories on our side of the pond.

Well, I wouldn't be able to own, say, an SRM1216 since, even if it was S.1, it'd too short and, thus, illegal in the UK. Mossberg 590s have to have "squirrel cages" or muzzle extensions of some sort since their 20" barrels are too short otherwise.

One can, though, still have fun:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NHEl2unHnKQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5svemcFLc

Regards,

Mark.

Man! And I thought our tax laws were complicated! I'm happy that you can own a shotgun without too much difficulty. Do most Brits shoot old doubles?
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:56 am
stepmac wrote:And I thought our tax laws were complicated!

Not to menion wierd stuff like 18 USC 922R...

Oh, and we can still shoot punt guns and moderators aren't a problem. :)

I'm happy that you can own a shotgun without too much difficulty.

So am I.

It's not tooo bad. There's also a bunch of other stuff (guns must be locked up when not being used, slug is S.1, etc) but, on the whole, it could worse. (Eg, Australia, from what I hear.)

Do most Brits shoot old doubles?

Yeah - mainly. Clay shooters generally shoot O/Us. Some intrepid souls may shoot semi or SxS. Very few times will you see pumps or anything else "unusual". (Pumps are only common at PSG events where, I suppose, it's about 50/50 pump and semi.)

Personally, I stick to pump and lever although, this year, I intend to put in for some rifle slots and an extra shotgun slot. If I get it, that shotgun slot may well be filled with a box-fed semi-auto shotgun. :)

Happy New Year to all.

Regards,

Mark.

Return to Ithaca Model 37