The Model 37 vs. the Rem 870

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:38 pm
Here is where you can get into a fight at your local sports bar. Which gun is best, the older and wiser Ithaca Model 37 or the upstart Remington Model 870....which has still be around for some time now.

First I want to say that I'm a pump gun kinda guy. Why? They are less $ than a double (I like doubles tho, but aren't shotguns like a pretty girl? I mean, they all have their good points.) I think that pumps are safer than autos, and less likely to break and are usually lighter (Some of the new autos are pretty darn light however.) I also just like the pumping of the thing. I think they balance better than some autos.

The most popular shotgun in history is the Remington 870. I have two a new 20 and an older 12. There are no fleas on an 870, but they are bulky to me. The pump handle is thicker. The gun is heavier than a 37 and not nearly as graceful. I think the 37 points better, but that a matter of choice.

Today, the price of a new 870 and modern made 37 field gun will set you back about the same. The 2nd model 870 quite a bit less, but who wants the lower grade shotgun? You are going to shoot the gun for the rest of your life, right? Buy the better grade gun...after a little while the diff in cost won't bother you anymore. BUT, spring for the Ithaca. She is quicker, lighter, mounts better, is smoother, drops those empties right at your toes, is easier to load, takes down easier, has a very nice barrel and I think the safety is easier to "find".

Of course Remingtons have a dedicated following and for good reason. I am hoping that the new Ithaca will pick up and take its rightful place with Remington, Winchester (what do they call that company today , anyway?) , Browning and Ruger. It seems to me that Ithaca is heading in the right direction.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:53 pm
Are you trying to start a fight...!? 8-)

The Ithaca M37 is the best shotgun around...bar none !!

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:41 pm
When the current Wingmaster 870 and Ithaca are compared price wise they are fairly close. Both guns have very good qualities however I am an Ithaca fan.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:07 am
Both are nice shotguns and have a die hard following.I prefer the Ithaca Model 37 because of the shorter stroke and the way the gun feels for me.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:09 pm
I have both, a 1967 Remington Wing Master 12ga. 28" mod vent rib barrel, a 1953 Ithaca '37, 12 ga 30" full choke barrel, and a 1981 Magnum Model 12ga '37 with no less than 5 barrels. The M-37's fit, point, and swing like a natural part of me. The Remington is a struggle sometimes and feels like it was built for someone 7' tall with ape arms.

Return to Ithaca Model 37