model 37

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 pm
I recently inherited an older model 37 20 gauge. It is one of the older ones referenced before the 855 serial number. It came with a poly choke, I assume from the factory. It has had less than 4 boxes of shells fired through it. I am not a big fan of the poly choke, any advice on replacing it with a newer barrel, finding an older one. It will primarily be used as a trap gun.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:11 pm
Barrels that fit the old guns are getting harder and harder to come by. You will need to watch eBay and gunbroker on a daily basis and be prepared to pay. Lately, the old style barrels in 20 and 16 gauge and even some 12's have been selling for 175 to over 200. Then you have to pay shipping to get the barrel, then pay shipping to send the gun and barrel to Les Hovencamp, (Diamond Gunsmithing), possibly the Ithaca factory and other gunsmiths (I know of only 1) that know how to fit a barrel to an old style receiver.

Figure on having (because of shipping) close to another 100 (or so) in the gun for the fitting.

You will need to learn how to identify an older barrel. Usually they have a serial nbr on the barrel, along with a dash nbr, -1 -2 -4, ie: imp-cyl mod full

why not just try and use it as it is ? it would be at least 300.00 less expensive to try it with the poly-choke on it.

you could put that 300 towards buying another gun. I have an acquaintance that just bought an older style 20 for 320.00

unfortunately since no one is making replacement barrels for the old guns anymore, the only way to get one is when someone parts out a gun, or you buy a sacrificial gun for yourself and still pay for the fitting and hope to recoup some money buy selling parts,

but then you are stuck with a receiver that needs an old style barrel

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:24 pm
The current Ithaca in Ohio offers a service where they will install a bushing in to the receiver allowing it to accept the new style barrels. You will not be able to use old style barrels on the gun again however.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:09 pm
Welcome to the Ithaca Owners Forum Mark !!

Return to Ithaca Model 37