Happy Birthday to Me !

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:45 am
I also posted about this over on SGW.

This year is unique. This will be the year that I am the same age as my birth year.

I was born in 1957 and will be 57 next Mon the 10th

SO.....

Last night I tried a new way of searching for guns and guess what ? I found a 1957 Model 37 16ga Deluxe. 28" plain barrel, choked Mod with a RayBar sight. It has a cut checkered buttstock and the Deluxe type forend. In darn nice shape.

So, as the 57th birthday present for a guy born in '57, I bought myself a 1957 made gun.

I lost the picture I had and the place took it off the website already so I won't be able to put up any pictures till it gets here, but it is in nice shape.

Actually it is a lateral move. I am doing a minor redo on a gun for a special little boy to complete his set. It turned out one of the guns that I had bought for parts, would actually go towards complete a set of 20,16 and 12 ga 37's built in 1951. So I am recutting the checkering, going to clean it and maybe put in a new shell stop spring (if it needs it) and I bought the ventilated style of poly-choke end, so now it has both types of ends.

Since I was allowed to buy since I am selling I just had to share what I am getting for my birthday present.

It is coming from Charlotte N.C. so it will be a few days to a week before I get it.

The only thing that could have made it any better was if it had been the 57th gun built in 1957.

Now if it had been that, you would have seen scorch marks all the way to the drive through and there would have been skid marks where I whipped out my wallet to buy 57 lottery tickets. :lol:

Last year I let a 98/99% 1957 model Ithaca 37 16ga get away. I didn't have $500.00 though.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:55 pm
drcook wrote:I also posted about this over on SGW.I was born in 1957 and will be 57 next Mon the 10th

Well, in that case, "Happy Birthday" for next Monday, Dave.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. My "special" year was in 2012. I must've been asleep for I never noticed the significance of it. :)
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:52 pm
Happy Birthday Dave. So how many 37s to you have now? How many of them are 16 gauges? You can never have too many! Donald

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 pm
Happy Birthday for next Monday.Nice story.Now all you need is one Ithaca for each year,for a total of 57.That would be a nice collection.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 pm
Thank you !

I have at least a couple 16ga guns. :D They are my favorite. The 12ga never goes out of the house anymore.

I only have one that even gets close to collector status though. I bought a 1949 solid rib that is in really nice shape.

The rest are pretty much hunting guns.

The best thing about my Ithaca guns is that I have made more good friends and acquaintances from ALL, I repeat ALL the folks on this forum and the Ithaca forum over on ShotGunWorld because of my involvement with them.

That is actually the best birthday present of all.
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:57 pm
Happy Birthday on the 10th and thank you for sharing your story. Be sure to post up some pictures when you get a chance.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:01 pm
Happy Birthday drcook !

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:38 pm
Happy Birthday! Dave. I also have a model 37 made the year I was born :D
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:21 pm
I received the gun. There is a little tweaking I will have to do, but I knew that. The pitting on the barrel is a little deeper than I thought, so I think I am sending it to Michigan to get welded.

I asked the gunshop if anyone took pliers to the magazine cap. Oh No they said. Well this is the second time d**n gun shop employees lied. I am starting to think gunshops are apprentice zones for used car dealers.

I did get a good deal on the gun and when I get it entirely restored, it will be pretty nice.

The alternative is to take the wood, refinish it, put it on my 1956 and sell this one off and wait till a better one comes along. I really bought it for the wood actually.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 am
Happy birthday, Dave! And many more...
Bill
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:36 pm
Here is what arrived for my 57th birthday. Mr 1977 is going to swap me a magazine nut to replace the bad one.

There is a spot on the barrel that I am sending it to Michigan to get the little bit of rust welded up and there is a spot on the receiver that will need polished out. Today we went and bought me some more rust and blue remover and I am going to start on this one.

I can't finish the stock for the Colonel until the weather gets beater, and I have the wood on the '57 and the wood for the '52 to redo also. I have pretty much made up my mind that I am sending the '52 to Briley for choke tubes.

This one ('57) is choked mod. While I was messing with the little rust pits on the barrel, I saw that the polish was done with the equivalent of 600 grit. This one will look all but factory when I am done. In fact, I was given a tip as to who has access to the original bluing tanks and formula from Ithaca so I might see if I can get some help there, otherwise I will just have it blued at the same time the '52 is.

As you can see I do have the sickness also.

I know where there is another one with this stock and forend configuration is.

By the way, it is a 16ga, as what else is there ?

Return to Ithaca Model 37