1957 Model 37 16ga Restoration project

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:14 pm
As I posted on another thread, I bought this 1957 16ga for my 57th birthday and I was born in '57. Someone had left something corrosive (blood, maybe paint as there was a couple spots on the wood) on the barrel and receiver. The spots on the barrel are too deep to polish out, so it is off to Michigan to be laser welded.

That is the only rust on the barrel. If it wasn't for that one place, there would be no need to do anything to the barrel.

I could have Oxpho'ed the spot, but I am a bit particular about my guns. Even though it is just a run of the mill Ithaca, it is MY run of the mill Ithaca and like all the other ones, can't be a beater, can't. It would bug me to death till I sold it or hid it in the safe never to see the light of day.

The 1st picture is the spot on the barrel after all corrosion is removed and is down to bare metal. The next 3 are of the gun before I started on it.

After complete disassembly, next up is stripping the blueing from the receiver and magazine tube and polishing the spot off the receiver and getting it ready to be reblued.

Then I will strip and refinish the wood.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:55 pm
Seems like a worthwhile project...looking forward to more installments !

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:26 pm
Your gun has much nicer wood than my 16 ga 37. Yours must be an upgraded model, and mine the lowly field version.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:54 pm
Mine is what is called a "Deluxe Standard". It is a little nicer than my 1956 which is just a "Standard" grade.

Return to Ithaca Model 37