My M37 Experience

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:15 am
Well, for various reasons I haven't had the chance to do much more testing on the M37s of late. My 76 is still performing well on the 'Long Brass' Olympic Blues but I haven't tried the 62 at all. I must remedy that situation soon.
I did have occasion to shoot an SXP for a round recently. Plastic version and worked well but I couldn't shake the habit of racking it forward after the 2nd shot, thereby closing the bolt and meaning I had to release it and rack back to load again. Used to loading the Ithaca slide forward it seems :-) It was Ok but it's no 37.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:48 am
Oh, and while we're at it, does anyone have an Ithaca Marine?

I'd really, really like one of those but I suspect in the good old U of K I'm more likely to find Unicorn teeth

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:19 pm
ChAoS wrote:G'morning, all.

TbirdX wrote:I can't imagine that any of the most popular makes over here use all brass. Not unless you are spending serious money on shells anyway.

In the five years that I've been shootin', I've *never* seen a "real brass" cartridge. At least, as far as I'm *aware*.

I assume that a Real Brass cartridge can't be picked up using a magnetic pick-up stick. Is that right?

ravengunsmith wrote:Tbird,

Your Kent and Game bore shells all use Cheddite hulls with an all-brass base and rim.
Not sure who else is in Europe, but I know those aren't steel unless they have versions not sold here in the states.

Interesting. I usually use either Gamebore "Evo" or Gamebore "Supergame". I thought that both were steel...

Regards,

Mark.

If the magnet is strong enough, it will pick one up by the steel in the primer. I have a Mojo Pick-Stik that will pick up brass hulls by the primer.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:46 am
roadkill wrote:If the magnet is strong enough, it will pick one up by the steel in the primer. I have a Mojo Pick-Stik that will pick up brass hulls by the primer.

Out of interest, does it pick them up *easily*? I've never seen any shooter have any difficulty picking up our hulls. Do *all* primers have steel in 'em?

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Since my M37 DSPS is now back in action, I'll have to re-address this issue of FTextracts. Basically, It'll decide whether I keep the Ithacas or ditch 'em. I love my Ithacas, but I've been struggling with this issue for five years, now; it could be time to change to Benelli or Beretta... :(
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:35 am
Well, my fibre shell experiment failed. They still failed to extract.

Next, I changed the top extractor claw spring and pin. Same result.

Short brass shells just get stuck in the barrel when the gun gets warm. Long 'brass' shells, the old faithful Olympic Blues, extract without fail.

I will just have to accept the fact that long brass shells are required for the 37, at least my 37 anyway, I think.
Previous

Return to Ithaca Model 37