My M37 Experience

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:07 am
something to take into consideration about shells..
while the gauge of a shot gun is specific , the measurement specifications differ not only by manufacturer but by country.
in other words if you sat down with a micrometer and started measuring shells they would vary by maker.
base metals will vary , their height and wall thickness will vary .
the rims will have different diameters ,thickness and edge shape profiles.
when gun manufactures test their guns they don't look for the most exotic ammo they can find ,
they most likely will cycle the local commonly available ammos through
any one of these differences or just one can cause ejection problems.

my ithacas prefer to eat Winchester and Remington..they prefer brass when they can get em
not hard to imagine that considering they are all made in the same country .
while they all will eat steel without complaining ,its not hard to tell that the older guns like brass more.
I have run some Italian made shells and for the most part they worked fine , but they were finicky and often left teeth marks on the rims
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:15 am
Twisted, Many of your European shells use hulls that are made by Cheddite.
B&P doesn't, but alot of the Italian made shells do.
--Jim

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:04 am
I can't imagine that any of the most popular makes over here use all brass. Not unless you are spending serious money on shells anyway.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:22 pm
Tbird,

Your Kent and Game bore shells all use Cheddite hulls with an all-brass base and rim.
Not sure who else is in Europe, but I know those aren't steel unless they have versions not sold here in the states.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:05 am
G'morning, all.

TbirdX wrote:I can't imagine that any of the most popular makes over here use all brass. Not unless you are spending serious money on shells anyway.

In the five years that I've been shootin', I've *never* seen a "real brass" cartridge. At least, as far as I'm *aware*.

I assume that a Real Brass cartridge can't be picked up using a magnetic pick-up stick. Is that right?

ravengunsmith wrote:Tbird,

Your Kent and Game bore shells all use Cheddite hulls with an all-brass base and rim.
Not sure who else is in Europe, but I know those aren't steel unless they have versions not sold here in the states.

Interesting. I usually use either Gamebore "Evo" or Gamebore "Supergame". I thought that both were steel...

Regards,

Mark.
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:39 am
The bases are steel? Or the shot? I am talking about the bases, but again, I am sure Gamebore sells a number of shells at home they don't export here in the states.

But they use Cheddite hulls, which, despite some of the naysayers in the US, are pretty good hulls.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:22 pm
ravengunsmith wrote:The bases are steel? Or the shot? I am talking about the bases, but again, I am sure Gamebore sells a number of shells at home they don't export here in the states.

But they use Cheddite hulls, which, despite some of the naysayers in the US, are pretty good hulls.

Yes, I'm talking about the bases.

Perhaps all the problems that I had with FTextract were because, essentially, *all* our UK shells (to quote the "Spitting Image" TV programme) "suffer from being ... crap".

Out of interest, how much more do brass-based cartridges cost compared to steel?

Regards,

Mark.
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:00 am
Got it, They don't those sell here in the states, only shells with brass heads.
Alot of ranges here that went to steel shot only use the Kent steel target loads. They have brass heads.
If you can get Fiocchi they are Cheddite hulls too.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Hmmm. Perhaps I need to look a bit harder to find *real* brass. It'd be interesting to see if they extract with no failures.

I also had FTextracts with my Chiappa 1887 but, after a year's use and slightly more agressive cleaning of the breech, things are much better now.

I've just been able to re-establish email communications with Ithaca so, with a bit of luck, within a short while, I'll be getting three of my broken(ish) Ithacas back into action. :)

Regards,

Mark.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:58 am
I know Kent fiocchi and gamebore makes them. of course they may be export only, but they do makes them. As I recall, Holland and Holland has a line of shells, too, but you may have to pay the Holland and Holland price for them
--Jim

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:15 am
Well, for various reasons I haven't had the chance to do much more testing on the M37s of late. My 76 is still performing well on the 'Long Brass' Olympic Blues but I haven't tried the 62 at all. I must remedy that situation soon.
I did have occasion to shoot an SXP for a round recently. Plastic version and worked well but I couldn't shake the habit of racking it forward after the 2nd shot, thereby closing the bolt and meaning I had to release it and rack back to load again. Used to loading the Ithaca slide forward it seems :-) It was Ok but it's no 37.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:48 am
Oh, and while we're at it, does anyone have an Ithaca Marine?

I'd really, really like one of those but I suspect in the good old U of K I'm more likely to find Unicorn teeth

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:19 pm
ChAoS wrote:G'morning, all.

TbirdX wrote:I can't imagine that any of the most popular makes over here use all brass. Not unless you are spending serious money on shells anyway.

In the five years that I've been shootin', I've *never* seen a "real brass" cartridge. At least, as far as I'm *aware*.

I assume that a Real Brass cartridge can't be picked up using a magnetic pick-up stick. Is that right?

ravengunsmith wrote:Tbird,

Interesting. I usually use either Gamebore "Evo" or Gamebore "Supergame". I thought that both were steel...

Regards,

Mark.

If the magnet is strong enough, it will pick one up by the steel in the primer. I have a Mojo Pick-Stik that will pick up brass hulls by the primer.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:46 am
roadkill wrote:If the magnet is strong enough, it will pick one up by the steel in the primer. I have a Mojo Pick-Stik that will pick up brass hulls by the primer.

Out of interest, does it pick them up *easily*? I've never seen any shooter have any difficulty picking up our hulls. Do *all* primers have steel in 'em?

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Since my M37 DSPS is now back in action, I'll have to re-address this issue of FTextracts. Basically, It'll decide whether I keep the Ithacas or ditch 'em. I love my Ithacas, but I've been struggling with this issue for five years, now; it could be time to change to Benelli or Beretta... :(

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:35 am
Well, my fibre shell experiment failed. They still failed to extract.

Next, I changed the top extractor claw spring and pin. Same result.

Short brass shells just get stuck in the barrel when the gun gets warm. Long 'brass' shells, the old faithful Olympic Blues, extract without fail.

I will just have to accept the fact that long brass shells are required for the 37, at least my 37 anyway, I think.
PreviousNext

Return to Ithaca Model 37