My M37 Experience

Moderator: ripjack13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:46 pm
Let us know how they fit TbirdX...

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:23 pm
Well, I got around to having a look.

I replaced the shell stop spring and pivot screw, no problem. I also ordered top and bottom extractors and springs, pins etc but decided I wasn't going to fit them at this time. I'll check the guns operation and make sure it's loading/ejecting ok and then decide if I'm going to change them or keep them as spares.

Hopefully though, all fixed although it may be a while before I get out shooting but as soon as I do, I'll update here with the results.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:52 pm
Sounds good...keep us in the loop !!

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:42 pm
Haven't had a chance to try the 37 so far but hoping to have a bash this Sunday. Watch this space :-)

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:32 pm
TbirdX wrote:Haven't had a chance to try the 37 so far but hoping to have a bash this Sunday. Watch this space :-)

Looking forward to your report.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:14 am
Update.

Got out this morning in horrible wet conditions, 80 bird sporting.

Fixed gun performed faultlessy as before, and despite the conditions, I shot a fairly decent score, for me. I'm a very happy camper.

I shall keep an eye on the pivot screw and just give it a tweak between shoots, just to make sure it's not going to fall out again :-)

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:12 am
Just for good measure, picked up another M37...

Top one of the pair. I think it was made in 62. No chequering, short foregrip and no rib. Haven't shot it yet but will report back when I do :-)
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:31 am
THey are both great looking examples, but your '62 is my favorite. THose versions always have a special place for me.
--Jim

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:17 pm
That is a great looking pair! I've got a couple but still want more.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:26 pm
burkdoggy wrote:That is a great looking pair! I've got a couple but still want more.

Can you ever really have enough???
--Jim
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:23 pm
Looking good TBirdX !!

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:11 pm
Well, still haven't managed to shoot the 62 much.

I took it to a shoot but for various reasons didn't use it. All I did manage was to put three shells through it right at the end. All fired and extracted just fine. Wow, this one doesn't seem as fussy as my other one. That's really good.

Went out so the Mrs could try out her new O/U and took the 62 M37 as well. First shot, bang, rack, jam. Bugger.

The old problem of non extraction had reared its ugly head again. Every shell I put in it failed to extract. Double bugger.

It stayed in it's bag for a while. I silently resigned myself wondering what to do with it.

I was most puzzled why it worked perfectly the first time and then turned into a jam-o-matic on the second outing. I mused on it. I thunk on it. It troubled me intermittently for many days on and off.

And then......Epiphany!

The first time I used it, when it worked just fine, I was at a ground I rarely visit. The second time, when it played up, at my regular ground. Anyone want to guess what the major difference between these two grounds are......I'll give you a moment.

Ground 1 - Fibre wads only
Ground 2 - Any wad you like.

I usually shoot plastic wad shells because they are slightly cheaper but at ground one had used fibre wad shells that day. Could it be that there is some difference in the expansion after firing between fibre and plastic shells?

I mused some more.

Found a few more fibres I had kicking about and at the end of my round last time, got the 76 M37 out and tentatively loaded 1 short brass fibre shell and racked it.

Bang, rack, extract.

I loaded 2 very short brass fibre shells.

Rack, bang, rack, extract, load, bang, rack, extract.

Success. Well blow me down and call me Nigel.

So, I have a new theory, that fibre wadded shells don't expand as much as plastic wadded shells. My very short and unscientific test supports it at the moment but at that point I had run out of fibre shells.

Soooooooooooooooo, I will be off to the shop to purchase a few boxes of different brand fibre wad shells to try out.

When I have the results I'll be sure to post them up here :-)
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:35 am
you might want to also file the hook in the extractor a couple of thou and/or replace the extractor spring
as well. that could solve your problem with plastic shells.
--Jim

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:46 am
Well, I did try some fibres but the test wasn't really conclusive to be honest. The shells I chose were so poor quality (tried them on say so of local gunshop) my trusty Maxus wouldn't/couldn't cycle them either, and when my Maxus struggles you know something's amiss.

Given we've had some other gun troubles lately, (Mrs T's new gun went back to Browning once, came back, was still rubbish so sent back and we're awaiting a replacement), we just wanted to shoot a few fuss free rounds and so experimenting went on the back burner a bit.

I will get around to trying some 'decent' fibres to test my theory at some point.

Watch this space....
Vendor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:43 am
NO NO, don't use "budget quality" shells or reloads. Did the rounds that jammed have steel rims? I can't and won't shoot steel rimmed shells in my benelli as the ejector will literally tear the rim. They make them so thin they snap under high stress. I stick to using brass rimmed shells and I do not have a problem.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:07 am
something to take into consideration about shells..
while the gauge of a shot gun is specific , the measurement specifications differ not only by manufacturer but by country.
in other words if you sat down with a micrometer and started measuring shells they would vary by maker.
base metals will vary , their height and wall thickness will vary .
the rims will have different diameters ,thickness and edge shape profiles.
when gun manufactures test their guns they don't look for the most exotic ammo they can find ,
they most likely will cycle the local commonly available ammos through
any one of these differences or just one can cause ejection problems.

my ithacas prefer to eat Winchester and Remington..they prefer brass when they can get em
not hard to imagine that considering they are all made in the same country .
while they all will eat steel without complaining ,its not hard to tell that the older guns like brass more.
I have run some Italian made shells and for the most part they worked fine , but they were finicky and often left teeth marks on the rims
Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:15 am
Twisted, Many of your European shells use hulls that are made by Cheddite.
B&P doesn't, but alot of the Italian made shells do.
--Jim

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:04 am
I can't imagine that any of the most popular makes over here use all brass. Not unless you are spending serious money on shells anyway.
Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:22 pm
Tbird,

Your Kent and Game bore shells all use Cheddite hulls with an all-brass base and rim.
Not sure who else is in Europe, but I know those aren't steel unless they have versions not sold here in the states.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:05 am
G'morning, all.

TbirdX wrote:I can't imagine that any of the most popular makes over here use all brass. Not unless you are spending serious money on shells anyway.

In the five years that I've been shootin', I've *never* seen a "real brass" cartridge. At least, as far as I'm *aware*.

I assume that a Real Brass cartridge can't be picked up using a magnetic pick-up stick. Is that right?

ravengunsmith wrote:Tbird,

Your Kent and Game bore shells all use Cheddite hulls with an all-brass base and rim.
Not sure who else is in Europe, but I know those aren't steel unless they have versions not sold here in the states.

Interesting. I usually use either Gamebore "Evo" or Gamebore "Supergame". I thought that both were steel...

Regards,

Mark.
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...
Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:39 am
The bases are steel? Or the shot? I am talking about the bases, but again, I am sure Gamebore sells a number of shells at home they don't export here in the states.

But they use Cheddite hulls, which, despite some of the naysayers in the US, are pretty good hulls.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:22 pm
ravengunsmith wrote:The bases are steel? Or the shot? I am talking about the bases, but again, I am sure Gamebore sells a number of shells at home they don't export here in the states.

But they use Cheddite hulls, which, despite some of the naysayers in the US, are pretty good hulls.

Yes, I'm talking about the bases.

Perhaps all the problems that I had with FTextract were because, essentially, *all* our UK shells (to quote the "Spitting Image" TV programme) "suffer from being ... crap".

Out of interest, how much more do brass-based cartridges cost compared to steel?

Regards,

Mark.
Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:00 am
Got it, They don't those sell here in the states, only shells with brass heads.
Alot of ranges here that went to steel shot only use the Kent steel target loads. They have brass heads.
If you can get Fiocchi they are Cheddite hulls too.
--Jim
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:48 pm
Hmmm. Perhaps I need to look a bit harder to find *real* brass. It'd be interesting to see if they extract with no failures.

I also had FTextracts with my Chiappa 1887 but, after a year's use and slightly more agressive cleaning of the breech, things are much better now.

I've just been able to re-establish email communications with Ithaca so, with a bit of luck, within a short while, I'll be getting three of my broken(ish) Ithacas back into action. :)

Regards,

Mark.
Vendor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:58 am
I know Kent fiocchi and gamebore makes them. of course they may be export only, but they do makes them. As I recall, Holland and Holland has a line of shells, too, but you may have to pay the Holland and Holland price for them
--Jim
PreviousNext

Return to Ithaca Model 37