Replaced carrier, bolt gets stuck, front and back

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:45 am
Replaced a broken carrier on 40's Model 37, 16ga. The bolt is very hard to move and gets stuck front and back. I have tried polishing forks on new carrier and assembled and reassembled about 15 times to make sure I am not the problem. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:32 am
Please explain which part you are referring to as the "carrier".

Here is a parts schematic that you can use to give us the part nbr(s) of the part(s) you replaced.

http://www.ithacagun.com/model37schematic.html

then we can see if we can figure out what went wrong, where

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:25 pm
Part number 13, I have put the old one back in this morning and the gun pumps fine. The new one is not pivoting down when you pump it. I took the bolt out and put the carrier in with screws and it pivots up and down with no problem.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:21 pm
where did you get the new part from ?

not to insult you, but you do know that part is gauge specific ?

do you have a set of dial calipers? if so, start measuring the new part against the old part, comparing it everywhere until you find where the difference is

if it works with the old, but not with the new, then there is a problem with the new part, either machined wrong, wrong part, etc.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:50 pm
Got the part from Numrich, I had an account there and was not aware of your site until today. Yes, I am aware the part is gauge specific. I have compared the 2 parts side by side, they appear identical. The only difference I can find is the polishing of the old one, that is why I polished the new one. I am sure Numrich will not refund since I polished it. Might have to take the hit and order one from your site. The gun is actually working with the old one, but don't want to take that chance. Lesson learned.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:57 pm
the ones of us, me, etc are not associated with IthacaGun, so it is not "our site". we are just folks that use like, and in my case, build and work on them for my own use.

this is a user forum, not a company support forum, but occasionally they might stick their noses in

keep looking for the difference. it has to be there. otherwise it will work. there is something off causing it to bind
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:33 pm
additionally, one time I asked Numrich the source of some of their parts and they said that some of them are new manufacture.

be aware that if they sent you a new Ohio made 16ga carrier it will be different than the old 16ga carriers.

check out Ithaca Guns website

http://ithacagun.com/store/index.php?ma ... ex&cPath=5

they specify that there are 2 different parts, carriers for )hio made 16ga guns and carriers for all the rest

my gunsmith buddy tells me that Numrich has sent him a bunch of wrong parts over the years.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:20 pm
I have had more bad than good luck with Numrich. I attempt to avoid buying parts from them whenever possible. Contact Ithaca, tell them your problem, they will sell you the correct part and will most likely tell you everything you might need to know to install it as well.

Return to Ithaca Model 37