New Ohio Ithaca 37 or older vintage 37?

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:46 am
I tried several searches first to see if such a thread already existed but found none.

Regarding quality, not differences in specs but quality, does it matter whether I buy a brand new Ohio made Ithaca 37 defense shotgun or a well maintained vintage Ithaca 37 from the 1960's through the 1990's?

Could I go wrong buying a new Ohio made Ithaca 37? I know many current gun companies are having quality control issues, but what about the new Ohio Ithacas?

They look like quality shotguns. Opinions? New vs. old? Thank you

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:11 am
I have visited and toured the Ohio factory twice. I can tell you that quality trumps every other business factor in their factory. They will scrap every part that they feel may have the slightest potential of disappointing a customer. The new equipment turns out parts at the tightest tolerances ever known to the model 37. We have 2 and like them very much.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:37 am
I own an much older Ithaca (pre-ww2) and have had the chance to fondle an Ohio gun on a couple of occasions. Older brother has our great-grands 50's 20ga and it's still kicking after a rebuild from a pile of slag. Feel confident that whatever you decide on, your buying a quality piece. Both the Ohio models I saw were real slick machines. All comes down to what you plan to use it for. If you wan't a do all, get an Ohio gun since they come with tubes out of the box. I was actually looking for one when I ran across my current shotgun, that I just couldn't pass it up. I do like the feel of the older ones however, but pre-1980 guns are kind of my thing. Just remember that if you get an older one, anything before serial #855,000 have fitted barrels and DO NOT interchange. I had all kinds of fun figuring that out after I toted mine home.
And yes, I see QC issues from all the big companies lately as well. Remington seems to have struck a line of lemons with the 870 express lately. Everyone I've seen new off the line in the last two years hangs up when they pump. I used to pull skeet in high school, and saw plenty of Remingtons jam and need to be taken off the field to be cleared. It's a shame really. My advice, spend some money, get any Ithaca new or old whatever your preference they're all tanks really, and only be depressed about the hole you just burnt in your checkbook. Trust me, I owned a lot of junk as a kid and saw the light soon after.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:18 pm
I have several older, 50's, 60's and 70's Model 37's as well as a Remington Model 17 made in 1928. In my opinion, the new 37's are one of the few firearms produced today that matches the fit and finish of older guns. Actually I think in the 70's and 80's the fit and finish of the 37's went a bit downhill. But I would definitely not shy away from buying an OH made gun. The only thing that makes me hesitant to pull the trigger on a 20 ga is that the price matches the quality and is definitely on the expensive side for a pump shotgun. But I think the quality is worth the price.

Return to Ithaca Model 37