New Model 37's with detached Barrels?

Moderator: ripjack13

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:50 pm
Hi guys, just joined today. I was at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg last month and stopped at the Ithaca Gun Company stand to look at all there different guns. I have an old Model 37 with a detached barrel and started talking to a company rep about the new models. I was telling him that I am tempted about buying a new M37 Defense model, but I rather have a detached barrel. He told me that they were going to start this year producing M37's with detached barrels. Have not seen anything on their website that mentions this, has anybody heard anything about this? Thanks for reading.
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last man of my tribe to surrender my rifle."

~Chief Sitting Bull~
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:37 pm
First I'm hearing of that report...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:43 pm
welcome

just food for thought here
why would you want a defense gun with a detachable barrel?
in a defense situation the biggest critical malfunction you can have is the barrel coming off..
its important enough for the military to specify "non detachable barrel" when they commissioned Ithaca to make trench guns

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:59 am
I have a Defense model with fixed barrel and find it no problem at all. Only 1500 rounds through it, but no hick-ups at all. Cleans easy. Never understood the need to remove the barrel. Actually quicker and less hassle than other brands with removable barrels. Get one, you won't be disappointed. Smoothest, slickest action going. You can load a full tube with your pinky finger. Single loading is a snap, just ease am shell in at a 45 degree angle and push the elevator up and slide the shell home in the breech. Elevator will fall back and hold shell (if it falls out of chamber) until you rack it home. I was so impressed with the Defense model that I bought a Trap model that I've been shooting with for a year now (WHILE WAITING ON THE PHOENIX O/U :D ). I've put 5000 rounds through it and had one issue where the carrier slide cracked. Ithaca resolved it quickly with a phone call. Excellent Customer Service. Two other fellow trappers have bought one after watching how well it crushes clays and seeing the quality build. I digress, don't hesitate. Fixed barrel is non issue. Forget preconceived notions.
Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:52 pm
Thanks guys, never had a shotgun with a fixed barrel. Just thought it would be easier to clean and less problems if I ever had to replace the barrel for some reason. Thanks for the valid points of having a fixed barrel, making me rethink that is the way I should go.
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last man of my tribe to surrender my rifle."

~Chief Sitting Bull~

Return to Ithaca Model 37