Is there really any such thing as a BAD Ithaca 37?

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:30 am
I've been doing a substantial amount of research on the Ithaca 37 for about the past year or so. I'm certainly no expert but I've learned a few things. I'm aware the company was bought and sold a few times, and that under some owners the quality of the Ithaca shotguns suffered.

One statement I read resounds inside my head:

"There are no LEMONS among the Ithaca 37's, there are no BAD Ithaca 37's."

It was explained that yes there were cosmetic issues due to poor quality control, but that ultimately no matter who made them and no matter when they were made, they all were reliable.

I just thought members would enjoy chiming in with their opinions.

Are there really an Ithaca 37's that I should AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE?

I read one opinion today that said stay away from the 87's, but most opinions I've read just say they're only issue was spotty cosmetics.

So that's my question, is there any particular year or years of the 37 that are truly, beyond a doubt, junk?

Or can I be confident knowing that no matter what I buy, the worst I have to be concerned about is poor cosmetics and such quality control issues? Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:19 am
"So that's my question, is there any particular year or years of the 37 that are truly, beyond a doubt, junk?"

My experience is limited and is only with pre-1987 Model 37s, but I think the answer to your question is definitely no. The Model 37 is a proven design and it was (and still is from what I hear) made by one best shotgun makers in the business.

There are people that don't like the 37 for various personal reasons, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about their overall quality.

If you are looking at an older gun, the only thing I would worry about is how the gun had been treated or if it has a damaged part. And I believe the 37s stood up to use and even abuse along with the best out there.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:10 pm
Never met a Model 37 that was even close to junk...they are built to last !!

Return to Ithaca Model 37