My latest projects

Moderator: ripjack13

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:11 pm
I put this over on Shotgun World also

I have been working on the gun for a while now. It is a 1952 16ga with a Simmons rib. It's a full choke barrel. I was going to have it altered, but since I have my other 16's I decided to turn this into a dedicated squirrel gun.

I polished the metal and removed all the little rust pits (it wasn't bad) and had it reblued. I have to get some silver solder blackener to blacken up around the rib posts.

I still have to finish the wood. The stock has a split in it that just doesn't want to go back together. It is now glued and solid, so I will push some epoxy mixed with walnut dust into the remaining crack and when I redo the wood, it will no longer be evident.

I have a new set of screws on the way. I put a new spring in behind the "spring shell stop". The rest of the spring were ok.

The plaque is what I am making for myself and 2 good friend/family member(s). The wood will be stained and lacquered just like an Ithaca buttstock and the brass heads will be polished and set into the wood. Those are actual old brass shell heads.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:11 pm
Good job on the restoration...

...and the plaque is pretty cool too !!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:31 pm
I have to get some silver solder blackener to blacken up around the rib posts.

Be aware that silver solder blackener can ruin your fine blueing job. Ask me how I know. The label does not say that it will, but suffice to say, it does.

I have to strip the barrel and have it reblued. On the 14th or April I am sending the 1957 barrel up to Michigan to have some pits welded and when I have that gun blued, I will have the barrel redone.

On another note, I have another project I am working on.

I have a new in box 1996 King Ferry 12g Vent Rib, Screw in chokes 28" barrel. I bought it back around 96 or so and just never shot it. In a moment of madness I sold the 20ga that I acquired at the same time,

Back to the 12ga. Over the last couple months I have been slowly acquiring some 12ga parts. One prize score is an early 60's magazine tube that was never installed. What does that have to do with anything you might ask.

If any of you read my posts over on SGW, I discovered (as I learned about Ithaca 37's) that due to an engineering change, the magazine tubes were changed from having two distinct internal diameters to simply having a roll crimp that kept the shell follower inside the tube.

I machined an insert and put it into the roll crimped tube on the gun I built for my wife. That gun feeds so much more smoothly and positively as there is a lip left over from the original design when the roll crimped tubes are used.

My 1996 has that lip inside the action, so I am replacing the roll crimped mag tube with the new old stock, never installed original design tube I bought for a few dollars. (I actually found 2 !!! ).

I have recently acquired a sculpted magazine/barrel yoke (as opposed to the flat sided ones) a late 50's, early 60's magazine cap and most important, I am getting a corncob forend and matching metal for the gun (it is a 3" style one, there is a difference).

Slowly but surely I am turning this mid 90's gun into an early 60's gun in function and appearance.

The one design feature that I cannot undo is the clip instead of the screw pin that secures and provides the pivot for the spring (left side) shell stop.

Return to Ithaca Model 37