What price for an 8 shot Ithaca 37?

Moderator: ripjack13

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:10 pm
First let me say I know values change by the year, if not by the month, and I know value truly depends on whatever the buyer thinks it is worth. Nonetheless, I am wondering, in your opinion, what would be a fair range in price to pay for a vintage Ithaca 37 military and police 8 shot that is parkerized, for example:

For an unaltered Ithaca 37 that is an 8 shot, 1975 to 1980's in parkerize, what is the value if:

Fair?
Good?
Excellent?

For an unaltered Ithaca 37 from the 1960's up until 1975 that is slam fire (I read that Ithaca stopped making slam fires mid 1975) and an 8 shot, what is the value if:

Fair?
Good?
Excellent?

I've seen many of these come and go in the past few months, the prices are all over the map, I was just wondering what the opinions are of fellow Ithaca 37 fans on this board. Thank you very much.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:04 pm
Condition is hard to determine without a picture or two...and the price is fixed by what the market...seller / buyer...will bear, depending on numerous factors.

I'm not one to buy any firearm sight unseen...or to make it more plain...one I have not personally inspected and handled. I always have a bore light with me...and ask permission to work the action as well as field strip any prospective purchase. That's just me...but it has served me ( and my collection ) very well. YMMV...but may I suggest some internet research on that model to see what other firearms from that era are going for in today's market.

I realize that's what you are asking here...but like I said...beauty is in the eyes ( and knowledgeable hands ) of the beholder...and price is subject to demand. Good Luck !

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:25 pm
I have no idea as to the value of the 8 shot models. But I do know this, thanks to a member named Ravengunsmith. Just because 1975 was the year Ithaca changed the trigger groups doesn't mean they stooped using the old trigger groups they had on stock. I've heard of guns into the 80's that would still slam fire. So, on the 75-early 80's guns it's on a case by case basis.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:12 am
Colonel26 wrote:I've heard of guns into the 80's that would still slam fire. So, on the 75-early 80's guns it's on a case by case basis.

Indeed. Both of my early-eighties, Parkerized, 8-shot M37 DSPS guns have the extra sear. My mid-seventies, blued M37 does *not*.

Regards,

Mark.
Came late in life to shooting but is making up for lost time...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:08 pm
My recently acquired 37 featherlight 12ga. with a 20" barrel 7rd. in the mag tube, 2 3/4 chamber. It says full on barrel has a 9 digit serial I think 1984 ,rifle type front sight no rear sight, sling attachments ,walnut furniture. And it does slam fire. And was easily manageable to slam fire once you had your slide control timed. Was very surprised, since what I have read was rds were all over .Not so ! Great shotgun ! Keeping this one. Traded a well used norinco sks for it with no problem, and glad I did !
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:09 am
Good to hear blu....!!

Return to Ithaca Model 37